Author Topic: artwork requirements for sublimation  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
artwork requirements for sublimation
« on: June 18, 2016, 12:50:16 AM »
Got artwork from a client recently. He is doing sports merchandise for one of the Professional baseball teams here in Japan. That dude is from Florida has no idea about anything related to garment decorating nor running a sports merch business.
Anyway. he bought 10 images of players from the Team for US$150 each. Each image is around 10 inches in hight at 300 dpi. He came up with this great idea to make sublimated shirts with the image of the player covering the whole back of the garment. So the image has to go up in size by at least 300%. He put mock ups of the shirts already online. All this happened before he even contacted us. Of course once I had all the facts I told him I wasn`t sure if he will get a good result and that he should have asked us first before offering those garments already online.
Well to make a long story short, I assume as for any other kind of print 300 dpi at 10 inches in hight won`t look too splendid when you have to blow it up by 300% or more. Anything that can be done to improve the outcome?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: artwork requirements for sublimation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 01:38:47 AM »
On this type of thing I enlarge the art and print out just a regular letter sized (or whatever you use there) portion of it just to show him the dot pattern.
Then, it's up to him. He may surprise you and like the effect. At any rate, it won't be on you.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:40:49 AM »
On this type of thing I enlarge the art and print out just a regular letter sized (or whatever you use there) portion of it just to show him the dot pattern.
Then, it's up to him. He may surprise you and like the effect. At any rate, it won't be on you.
Believe me when I say with this client anything that`s wrong will be on me or whoever else is doing the work for him.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »
So,why take on the work?
If you already know he is a PITA then politely decline todo the work.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »
So,why take on the work?
If you already know he is a PITA then politely decline todo the work.
Cause we do lots of other work for this client which is pretty simple and straight forward.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 10:26:21 AM »
Well, we've all had clients and situations like this, but in the end, I have to go back to demonstrating just what it will look like, leave it up to them, and have them sign off on it.
Unlike screen printing, with sublimation, you can much more reasonably run a single sample example.
Bottom line, you can only make nice silk purses out of nice silk, not sow's ears.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
How large is the final image going to be?  If its currently 10" high at 300dpi, you can adjust it to 20" high at 150dpi, which is pretty big on a shirt.  Although I'm not experienced with sublimation, if its anything like DTG, 150dpi - while not ideal - should produce a print that the vast majority of people would be happy with.  Have you tried one yet?
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
you can do quite a bit in photoshop without losing too much detail, especially with the right plugins.  You might have to dig around on a few photography forums, but there are tools out there that would make this no big deal.  The industry standard upsampling plugin is called "perfect resize" and I think it is $200 or so, but there are plenty of others and some are free.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:19:00 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »
How large is the final image going to be?  If its currently 10" high at 300dpi, you can adjust it to 20" high at 150dpi, which is pretty big on a shirt.  Although I'm not experienced with sublimation, if its anything like DTG, 150dpi - while not ideal - should produce a print that the vast majority of people would be happy with.  Have you tried one yet?

It`s going to be around 30 inches tall on the bigger sized garments.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 06:54:49 PM »
you can do quite a bit in photoshop without losing too much detail, especially with the right plugins.  You might have to dig around on a few photography forums, but there are tools out there that would make this no big deal.  The industry standard upsampling plugin is called "perfect resize" and I think it is $200 or so, but there are plenty of others and some are free.
Great tip, thanks a lot. I was not aware of these plug ins. Will give it a try

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
I read earlier that the Perfect Resize plugin has a free trial as well, so you might be able to use it for this job with no added expense.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 04:52:10 AM »
I did a bit more Googling on that subject and found that Photoshop has a new feature, well new to me,  that was introduced in 2013. It`s a Preserve Detail algorithm. I have to admit I`ve never looked to closely at the resample options under Image Size, but there it is the "Preserve Detail" feature.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:24 AM »
I love this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »
I love this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Especially as I`m running my shop in a country where there is no communication between printshops. There is no willingness to exchange information at all here .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »
I have a copy of PhotoZoom Pro 6 (been using it since 4, I think Homer recommended it) and it saves a lot of unworkable files...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't