Author Topic: DIY Projects Sneak Peak  (Read 2317 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
DIY Projects Sneak Peak
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
Finally after 6 months of balls to the wall business I had a slow enough week that I was able to finish up some DIY projects that have been on the back burner for far too long.  I'll post individual threads with more extensive photo galleries and info on pricing and sources for parts and why I built things the way I did, but in the mean time I'm excited and wanted to share.

Main included projects:
(half) DIY One Armed Bandit for flag, all over shirt, and large format flatstock printing
Flip up vacuum frame for 23x31 frames
Updated my inverted Triloc-style FPU

Also doing some stuff in my screen room that I'll share soon as well, and I'll post some of my older DIY projects that I never got around to sharing as the week goes on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:06:11 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Re: DIY Projects Sneak Peak
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
Awesome! I love these DIY projects.  I wish I had more time for them.  There is a lot I need to do to make my life a little easier.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
Yea, I am finally at a point where I am no longer making things or buying things to add capabilities to my shop and instead I'm doing projects and buying equipment that improve efficiency or quality.  Took a while, but its a nice feeling.  Both of the projects pictured are going to save me a lot of time over how I had been doing things.

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
Great stuff!   I'm also really into building my own things and DIY development,   I will start some threads for my projects as well....  currently building a digital LCD exposure table, and my own re-tensionable frames.    As I get my home-studio shop more put together I will start making vids and share these kind of fun DIY projects.     Thanks for your post and pics and info,   I really love to tinker, experiment, and build things so these should be some fun discussions.
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
I have been binge watching woodworking shows recently.  So many great ideas in them...gotta have something to do while I'm folding laundry or holding a baby...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »
Going to give the one armed bandit its first test run on some 3x5 flags today.  My back is already thanking me!

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
Lets see some flags!
What kind of substrate and ink?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Marine canvas with waterbased 90% of the time.  I have done a few nylon flags, and more recently started doing discharge on one particular material.  Most of the cool ones are for one client and I can't post those unfortunately.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 11:07:15 PM »
added a quick preview of the FPU!

Also got to try out the One Armed Bandit on a big run of flags earlier today and it is AMAZING.  So much better than pushing a 30 inch squeegee by hand...