Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
Any suggestions?
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:19 AM »
Using water based ink for most of my orders. Print right along without a hitch when there's not much print area but when there is, especially if I flash/print/flash/print an larger print area I get excess moisture underneath the shirt which causes it to pull up on with the screen ever so slightly and if I print it again I'll get shadowing.

Right now I'm having to use my flash unit to cure the shirts as well which means every time after a shirt, I have to wipe the platen with a towel and spray it again with sticky tac. Kind of a pain. I should be getting my conveyor dryer in a couple weeks (CANNOT WAIT!!!) but will still have the same problem when I print/flash/print, especially if I have to do that a couple times on a dark garment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll also be going to pallet tape and wb tac glue stuff I've read about on here. Tired of the spray junk, my lungs could kick my tail right about now.

Thank you all!

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:37:10 AM »
Do you warm up your pallets?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
Not initially. They get pretty warm throughout the run and it still happens, even when you can barely touch them.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
Actually, some of those spray adhesives don't stand up to flash dryer heat as well as others.
I seem to remember using one mist specifically rated for flash heat way back when they were my standard stickum.

I also can't imagine consistent curing most waterbased inks with only a flash dryer when even many belt dryers without forced air have problems getting rid of all of the water vapor. At least, at usual production speeds.

That said, back in the '70's when I first used a waterbased ink, it was set with a hand iron. I have no idea what the inks today, or specifically the ink that you are using, requires for full cure.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?