Author Topic: I'm trying to understand mapping a new drive.  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I'm trying to understand mapping a new drive.
« on: July 16, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
 I'm trying to understand mapping a new drive. I assume I can figure out how to do that ... Only through trial and error, but I don't understand yet where that drive is going to be residing, where is that storage going to be located.

I've seen the drive links under the computer icon of the specific PC once they're created but The intent is to have it reside on a much larger storage location and that I guess is where I get confused as to how to do that. When I see it under the PC it looks as if the storage is on that PC and just another drive of that PC.

Can anyone clarify?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: I'm trying to understand mapping a new drive.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
If I'm following you right Dan (and I'll admit, I struggle with that sometimes. :p )  A mapped drive is just a way of giving a "drive letter" and easy access to a SHARE from another computer.  That can be a drive or just a folder on a drive.

So once you share the "resource" you want to share on the machine that has the resource.  You then go to another pc and pull up the machine that has the resource.  Then you right click and say "map network drive" or whatever it says.  Pick your drive letter and some optional options and then go.

So like my wife's computer is called "Boomstick", she has a G drive that is an external that we store our files on, this is shared.  From my pc I go to //Boomstick and I see the "G drive" or whatever we named it when we shared it.  I then right click that share and map it to my "S:" drive on my local PC.  I go around the office and do this for everyone and now I can just say "It's on the S drive" and everyone knows what that means.

A little BONUS is that if you go on the host (Boomstick in this example) and do the same thing she will have an "S:" drive like everyone else.  This is helpful for times that files get linked... say you place an image and forget to embed it.  As long as the file is on the "S:" then it will still work when opened up on her computer as well.

Hope that helps.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
That was a pretty good job of explaining.   Much appreciated. I'll give it a shot.   I did it once at home but don't know how for sure. Kinda stumbled into it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
We could go down the "net use" path if you want me to complicate it for you. ;)