Author Topic: Cad cut material for heat transfer on Gore-Tex?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Cad cut material for heat transfer on Gore-Tex?
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:04 PM »
Anyone know of a heat transfer solution for gore-tex fabric?   

Feedback I'm getting is that the teflon coating on this fabric's fibers is too resistant to adhesion for cut material.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Cad cut material for heat transfer on Gore-Tex?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
Gore-Tex is usually the inside lining, and not the shell, though to work effectively, the shell needs to be water repellant as well.
I'd worry more about heat damage to the lining than adhesion to the shell.

I've done some from San Mar, but I can't remember for sure if they were ones with their version of a breathable waterproof membrane and poly shell, or one of their waterproof nylon ones.
I'll try to find the old paperwork.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
maybe gorilla grip from stahls? i know we always use that on nylon, but not sure about goretex.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
My thoughts as well.  These are tougher jackets/work wear and must have a nylon face fabric, probably coated with DWR or similar.   I've seen cad cut transfers on gore-tex active jackets, etc. so I think it's possible. 

Gore is getting back to me (hopefully) on upper temp limits for the actual gore-tex.  I agree that heat damage could be a deal breaker if it fuses up the micro pores of the membrane fabric at too low a temp/pressure to get a transfer to adhere to the outer shell.

We successfully transferred onto some very tricky stuff like Patagucci's utlra thin/delicate Houdini fabric but they weren't technically waterproof, just resistant.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
On the Nylon Waterproof  jackets I've done from San Mar, I just used the "Extra" version of Easy Weed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?