Author Topic: LED Exposure Units - Emulsions  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
Re: LED Exposure Units - Emulsions
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »
 :-[...sorry, my eyes are getting bad. Working 15+ hours a day.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »
CCI Blue HXT w 2oz diazo to slow it down
S mesh statics.
1/1 sharp edge.
DTS
Starlight 2331 / no glass
average time: 30 seconds (some counts are around 22 seconds, other in the 40's)

w/o diazo AND WP film AND glass we had anywhere from 3 - 8 seconds with other pp emulsions

IMO, an LED unit really "shines" with paired with a DTS. We had it for a year with our film set up and it was really, really fast and beat the pants off our 1k unit. But that glass became so incredibly hot after 10 screens, we had to stop exposing for 20 minutes or so to let it cool down. Find a way to get the heat out and keep that glass cooler...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
IMO, an LED unit really "shines" with paired with a DTS. We had it for a year with our film set up and it was really, really fast and beat the pants off our 1k unit. But that glass became so incredibly hot after 10 screens, we had to stop exposing for 20 minutes or so to let it cool down. Find a way to get the heat out and keep that glass cooler...

I have heard this complaint a number of times about a few brands of units...not sure why a problem like this would not have been noticed during development? Maybe it was tested in an air conditioned room....either way, whats the sense in a 10 second burn time if your wasting 20 minutes later to let the thing cool down. But I can certainly see where having it paired with DTS would solve that problem.

Your like the 10th person that has posted here, or elsewhere I have read that adds diazo to slow your exposure....seems rather a waste to me. Why have you not simply switched to a dual cure emulsion with a naturally slower exposure?
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, dual cure emulsion is essentially a photopolymer with diazo added.

Our MSP3140 is woefully under-cooled as well. The Photosharp next to it has double the fans and none
of the heat problems.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
The new Starlights don't have any issues with getting too hot.  It gets to 90 by 10am and it's over 100 for about 4 hours of our production day and I've yet to feel the glass to be any warmer than the ambient air.  I've shot 30 screens one after another within a span of about 45 minutes with very little time between exposures and I didn't notice any heat issues with our Starlight.  I was specifically looking for it too since I had read a few posts about it.  I'm sure Rich can elaborate further on this but I do know our unit is very new and they may have done a few things to curb the heat issue inside the unit. 

I'm almost ready to do a more comprehensive review of our Starlight and I've done a few videos but I haven't had a chance to review the vids and get them on youtube.  Maybe once it slows down later next week I'll get a window to get the info out there.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
The new Starlights don't have any issues with getting too hot.  It gets to 90 by 10am and it's over 100 for about 4 hours of our production day and I've yet to feel the glass to be any warmer than the ambient air.  I've shot 30 screens one after another within a span of about 45 minutes with very little time between exposures and I didn't notice any heat issues with our Starlight.  I was specifically looking for it too since I had read a few posts about it.  I'm sure Rich can elaborate further on this but I do know our unit is very new and they may have done a few things to curb the heat issue inside the unit. 

I'm almost ready to do a more comprehensive review of our Starlight and I've done a few videos but I haven't had a chance to review the vids and get them on youtube.  Maybe once it slows down later next week I'll get a window to get the info out there.

That's one of the wonderful things about LEDs, very efficient so they don't put off a ton of heat.  Incandescent light bulbs are only like 3% efficient at putting out light, that means 97% heat...I have actually used a bulb for fermentation temperature control before.  This is also why I have been updating bulbs at home to LED bulbs (even got 5 free from my energy company).

We never had crazy film sticking problems like some people but we did have some sticking when we used glass and our MSP 3140.  Sure is nice being off of glass and using a Starlight.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
LED don't put off heat, the 12v converters do.  the bases of LED bulbs will get warm, but the tops stay cool

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
well whatever it is, my glass was getting HOT.

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
well whatever it is, my glass was getting HOT.

on both my starlight AND saati multi-300, the surface of the screen will get hot (glass or no glass).

I believe it to be radiated heat.  you can actually prove this for yourself by putting your hand in there while it's on (you may need to bypass the safety with a magnet on the starlight -- I didn't tell you that tho)... your hand will feel warm, but the glass will be cool.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
We have a Starlight and have never had an issue with glass getting hot. 
There are days we burn 15-20 screens back to back; no issue.
Scott Garnett
King Screen