Author Topic: DIY Cooldown Stand  (Read 2715 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
DIY Cooldown Stand
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
Been meaning to make one of these for a while now and finally had a job where I absolutely needed it.  Quick, cheap, and dirty, but working great.  Have to set a filter on top still.

Works for cooling down the pallets during longer runs and for drying off between colors on multicolor flatstock (what I needed it for today).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:03:31 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: DIY Cooldown Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Love It!!!, it just amaze me what we all have in our shops to get our jobs done, and then other companies take those idea's and make millions LOL again great idea

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Is it blowing air onto or away from the platen?
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
Mike the it's turn it looks like it's blowing air onto the platen

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
I wonder about that Daryl, does it make more sense to pull the heat away like fans in a PC do?
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Impossible to filter it that way and I'd think it would be less efficient.  PC's are drawing in cool air from outside through an engineered case, sometimes pulling it through cooling fins by similar engineering.

This is just a ghetto fabulous way to get the heat off a shirt.  Pulling the cool air straight in and down on the shirt pushing the heat off.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
Air is blowing at the platen.  MUCH faster that way (I was curious and tried both while watching with a laser thermometer).  Mainly I use this when printing flatstock though when I don't want to remove it from the platen between colors, but has the added benefit of cooling down large plastisol bases late in a run when the pallets are starting to get too hot due to ambient shop temp etc.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
This has me thinking again, a long time ago I thought of taking an empty 23 x 31 aluminum frame and lining it with some 140mm cooling fans run in series and a used power supply. Being in the frame it can be moved from one head to another quite easily since the power plug unplugs right from the PSU. Dunno it was a though back then, enough 140's can pull a lot of air for sure.
"No man is an island"

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
Yep, air at the platen is much better.

On the Diamondback I have put a couple 2x4' in the screen clamps and adjusted the clamps to hold a box fan, then just put that up there in the head.  Very easy and effective.

Should work on front and rear clamps as well, never tried.  Doesn't work on a manual of course..

Offline Action1

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
This has me thinking again, a long time ago I thought of taking an empty 23 x 31 aluminum frame and lining it with some 140mm cooling fans run in series and a used power supply. Being in the frame it can be moved from one head to another quite easily since the power plug unplugs right from the PSU. Dunno it was a though back then, enough 140's can pull a lot of air for sure.

Would it look like this maybe?
:-)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »

Yea but it could be much simpler.

"No man is an island"

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »

Yea but it could be much simpler.

Like this?

box fan + a used frame..

I did add a furnace filter shortly after this pic was taken to help have less lint 'blown' into the hot ink.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
The idea drawing Action has shown is something I talked with someone about many years ago and never did anything with it, because M&R had the Kool Mister I think everyone liked, I have a new design but trying to be very careful this time about running off at the mouth about it LOL