Author Topic: Best way to create gradient text that are printable?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
Best way to create gradient text that are printable?
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:45 AM »
What's the best way to create gradient halftones in photoshop/illustrator?

I've watched quite a few tutorials on youtube of how to create gradients in illustrator, but when I go to do it, I'm not very impressed with the results as "Image Trace" doesn't create the nice round gradient pattern.
So then I started researching how to do it in photoshop (which I know absolutely nothing about, but I'm trying to learn), I can get it to do a real nice gradient halftone text which looks really good, but then it changes it, or condenses it all into the "background layer" and locks it. 

I'm sure it's something easy that I'm just not getting, or don't know about.  Everything I've learned with illustrator or photoshop has been through youtube, online reading, or just goofing around in the programs themselves. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Joe

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Best way to create gradient text that are printable?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »
First.  Do you have a rip program or are you trying to physically create halftone dots within a program for printing on film?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
Re: Best way to create gradient text that are printable?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »