Author Topic: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly  (Read 12469 times)

Offline XG Print

NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly
« on: August 17, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
About to order my first gallon of the NextGen cotton.  Any tips for using it manually for the first time.  Also noticed they have the NextGen Poly out now.  Anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
both of them are awesome, and print great on the manual... I'd put it in the screen and print like normal.

a few notes.. they will 'rise' if you cure them too hot, so try to cure no higher than 330.

the poly cures a lot lower than normal poly inks (I believe you can actually cure down around 275, but we haven't tried to go that low yet).

your flash speeds will likely be faster than whatever you're currently using...

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
We're all manual, we gave the nextgen cotton white a try, but it creeps up the squeegee a lot more than we like.  Other members said it worked fine for them though...

We have been enjoying the Nextgen Magic in some of our color mixes. And we've still been using the white to mix colors with as well.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:28:45 AM »
We're all manual, we gave the nextgen cotton white a try, but it creeps up the squeegee a lot more than we like.  Other members said it worked fine for them though...

We have been enjoying the Nextgen Magic in some of our color mixes. And we've still been using the white to mix colors with as well.

there was a slight adjustment in the formula and the new batches don't climb nearly as bad (if any)!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
When was the tweak made Pierre?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
When was the tweak made Pierre?
I think about a month ago, but you'd have to check with Joe.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Don't be afraid to mix in some Magic into anything if you want it to print better, even your white.

It does flash fast and will cure lower than you expect.  When used properly I doubt there is anything better.  I know every shop is different but don't be afraid to push the limits on your print settings like pressure and print speed.  If you are going to print it just like you would any other white ink then you probably won't see just how good the ink is.  It's like driving a sports car, if you drive like a blue-hair then you'll never get to experience the reason why people by a sports car to begin with. 

Some manufacturers (I don't fault them at all for doing this) build their inks to appeal to the largest base of customers and doing so will hinder the performance of the ink.  As this shop has progressed over the years we've had to continually adjust/mix new white inks to keep up with what I'm trying to accomplish on the press.  There is no doubt that printing with light pressure and fast speeds creates a better print, in virtually every category.  If you're ink won't perform at those levels where you'll actually see a difference then you'll have to work so much harder and do many different things to progress and make your shop more efficient and producing higher quality prints.  If you're a plastisol shop then white ink is by far the most important part of your production loop and if you're choosing a white ink based solely on price then a huge percentage of what you print will be affected negatively.  Unless you've found a cheap white ink that will print as good as the expensive ones, which I have yet to find.  And I'm a white ink HO!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »
Don't be afraid to mix in some Magic into anything if you want it to print better, even your white.

It does flash fast and will cure lower than you expect.  When used properly I doubt there is anything better.  I know every shop is different but don't be afraid to push the limits on your print settings like pressure and print speed.  If you are going to print it just like you would any other white ink then you probably won't see just how good the ink is.  It's like driving a sports car, if you drive like a blue-hair then you'll never get to experience the reason why people by a sports car to begin with. 

Some manufacturers (I don't fault them at all for doing this) build their inks to appeal to the largest base of customers and doing so will hinder the performance of the ink.  As this shop has progressed over the years we've had to continually adjust/mix new white inks to keep up with what I'm trying to accomplish on the press.  There is no doubt that printing with light pressure and fast speeds creates a better print, in virtually every category.  If you're ink won't perform at those levels where you'll actually see a difference then you'll have to work so much harder and do many different things to progress and make your shop more efficient and producing higher quality prints.  If you're a plastisol shop then white ink is by far the most important part of your production loop and if you're choosing a white ink based solely on price then a huge percentage of what you print will be affected negatively.  Unless you've found a cheap white ink that will print as good as the expensive ones, which I have yet to find.  And I'm a white ink HO!

So lets say I get the Magic coming too.  Would you go ahead and mix the whole new gallon with Magic and if so at what ratio?  Thanks

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »

there was a slight adjustment in the formula and the new batches don't climb nearly as bad (if any)!

pierre
That is good to know, maybe we'll give it another shot after we finish up this gallon.

Do you guys use the cotton white on any blended materials?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

So lets say I get the Magic coming too.  Would you go ahead and mix the whole new gallon with Magic and if so at what ratio?  Thanks

you shouldn't have to mix the Magic with Joe's new batches of white...

the magic is more for mixing with other inks, or other peoples whites that don't perform as well...    up to 15% is what joe says doesn't affect opacity.  We were adding 5-10% to our wilflex amazing base mixes that were 'tough' (stuff with a lot of sticky FL pigments)... but after we switched to the Synergy base, the Magic has remained on the shelf just in case we need it.

more info here:
http://www.synergyinks.com/PDS/MAGIC%20PDS.pdf

Fyi, the cotton white was hit or miss on blended materials... for whatever reason the prints would look great going into the dryer but come out rough.  Using his poly white fixed this.  (Poly white prints and floods like a dream).

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

Only if you were having some issues with the ink climbing the squeegee or building up on the outsides of the screen.  We use the Magic predominantly with our huge supply of VERY old ink that we bought (mistake) from a shop that went out of business.  We've got a few hundred quart buckets of ink that spans the pantone book and often times when a customer wants a pantone match we have it on the shelf.  But, there are many times that ink is older than I care to mention here and needs some "MAGIC" to bring it back to life.  I've taken an ink that was 10 years old and never opened since the original print run, added Magic and made an ink that was as creamy and as close to perfect as plastisol can get.  We're moving towards phasing out our current usage and ink inventory and sticking with one brand/series of spot colors and using that base to mix anything pantone specific.  Excalibur 500 series has been great so far and the 10 colors we're using from them have performed great.  Not trying to push Joe into expanding their ink lineup but it feels like the natural move to make and that ink will no doubt be as good as the white and black and we will use it exclusively if it does happen. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
A bit off subject, but if you use a PC system, you may want to look at his base. I've been using it with my Wilflex PCs and we LOVE what it can do.

Now, back to your white.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »
Fyi, the cotton white was hit or miss on blended materials... for whatever reason the prints would look great going into the dryer but come out rough.  Using his poly white fixed this.  (Poly white prints and floods like a dream).
I've seen this same problem with it, but I haven't bought any in a few months.  Are you manual printing this poly?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:13:08 PM »
A bit off subject, but if you use a PC system, you may want to look at his base. I've been using it with my Wilflex PCs and we LOVE what it can do.

Now, back to your white.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY OFF TOPIC HERE! Hey Dave, the TRX is kickin my arse!!! ;D

Carry on!
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
I do a lot of 50/50's. Just ordered a gallon of the Poly. I've been using Street Fighter LB as my go to, is this stuff comparable or will it blow it out of the water?