Author Topic: Price for a used auto?  (Read 6615 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Price for a used auto?
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
I have the chance to buy a used 6/8 javelin with compressor for 1500 bucks. Only issue is I cant test it as it is in a storage unit without electrical. Would you pay that without being able to test it? What would it be worth as a parts machine for someone else assuming it's not actually operable? Anything I can test or look out for without turning it on? Just looking for advice...

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: Price for a used auto?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
Tough call. Can you look at over general condition/cleanliness? Can you have a guarantee it will function after set-up if it's being sold as "functioning"? At that price I don't think you can expect much, but there is pretty good support for the machine still, and parts available, so you don't have much to lose at that price i.m.o. A sickly auto with 2-3 functioning heads and a flash-cure will almost always smoke any manual and would be a great addition.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »
What could be wrong with it that would truly make it not worth that? I assume I could part it out and recoup close to the cost minus the hassle of dealing with it of course. Would anything specific make it dead weight that would be visible without trying to turn the thing on?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Could just be worn right out, print cylinders, center shaft/bushing etc someone will know more specifics than me on that machine. A call to a Javelin tech for advise would be a good idea.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »
Call Brannon at Spot Color Supply.  He can advise you.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »
Javelins actually run on bearings not a bushing. I've never seen one that couldn't be fixed. My biggest concern would be the PLC. If you are willing to put in some tlc 1500 with a compressor sounds like a steal to me..?? Any clue what year it is? Does it include a flashback?

Edit: I was posting as king said that lol ^^^
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
I'll get some more details and give you a call. Thanks!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
you can also call Kenny Wilganowski in Houston. He knows javelin's inside and out, as he used to run the company when it was in Houston.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
What ever happened to the sweet deal embroidery machine?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
Haven't had time to pick it up so pretty much no update...

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
That's just cool. Don't know how you find these deals but I'm kinda jealous. As for the auto can you take a portable generator to see if the computer starts up? I don't know what will happen with it disassembled, probably some error codes but atleast you'll know it works.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Looks like electrical may be available actually after talking to the guy again, at least a 20 amp 110. Not sure what the specs would be for the press. Doubt the compressor would run off that, lol.

As for finding deals, a lot of it is Internet searches, but the best deals usually come "through the grapevine" if that makes sense. I try to be helpful and talk to lots of random shops around Texas, and I contact lots of people who know people about smaller used equipment purchases and here and there a real score comes along. Like I'll talk to someone about a 50 dollar hat press and 6 months later the guys friends dad is trying to get rid of a press or dryer and they remember me. Really random.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
Looks like electrical may be available actually after talking to the guy again, at least a 20 amp 110. Not sure what the specs would be for the press. Doubt the compressor would run off that, lol.

As for finding deals, a lot of it is Internet searches, but the best deals usually come "through the grapevine" if that makes sense. I try to be helpful and talk to lots of random shops around Texas, and I contact lots of people who know people about smaller used equipment purchases and here and there a real score comes along. Like I'll talk to someone about a 50 dollar hat press and 6 months later the guys friends dad is trying to get rid of a press or dryer and they remember me. Really random.

Before folks became pretty much "digitally dependent" , word of deals often came from supplier reps who made the rounds, and knew who was doing what, and when they were closing down, or stepping up and needing to unload old equipment. Often, price was determined by how much storage room one had.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
The press runs on 110.
Bring a drop cord. The plug is short, and on top.

1. Power up the base
2. Open up the pannel on the bottom (3/8 hex, in front of the load/unload station).
3. You should see the PLC
4. Call workhorse to confirm all of the lights are as they should be????

They can also help you determine the age of the press.
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
Awesome info! Thanks