Author Topic: BOOM! The axe has fallen after not even two weeks.  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: BOOM! The axe has fallen after not even two weeks.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
It's tough being the guy trying to change things if you don't have key players on-board.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
Sucks to hear that though Dan. I am sure you will land on your feet.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »
This is why I dont work for anyone else. I dont need someone controlling my life.

Not married? LOL...

Steve

Nope, I did finally ask her last year though, but we haven't tied the knot yet lol.

For what it's worth, my wife and I just had our first anniversary on the 5th. We've been together since we met in late January 1977. You can't rush some things...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
Pretty bummed about it. Not so much in losing the job, but the fact that

A, the owner doesn't see what he's missing out on. Just can't see the forest kind of thing. It's his two people that he holds apparently with much higher regard than me... that are holding him back.  It's really a shame. He's a nice guy, but really making some bad business decisions. Another one of those "They've been in business for 15-20 years doing it that way) kind of thing. It's not right, it's not good...but they ARE in business.

The job was nice. It was close to me, paid what I needed ...and was doing what I love. I should have known "Too good to be true".

Bottom line is, after he saw that he wasn't going to get his people to move my way easily and soon enough and there would be tension because I would want to continue to head that way, he'd rather just fire me and save himself the grief.  I get it.  Just still pretty stupid on his part for allowing the crew to dictate where he takes his business.

Trust me, you don't want to work for an owner that doesn't want to improve things, and prefers to listen to the workerbees over the person he brought in to help fix things.

This is signs of some serious mis-management issues.

You'll be better off long term by this change...

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »
A positive spin maybe? You have been aggressively gathering information to make them better, which they foolishly declined. You have some rock solid information that you can carry with you wherever you go. So you have learned something, even if they haven't. Maybe we all have?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
Well dammit, sorry to hear that Dan.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
I don't understand shops like that.  I get a thrill out of implementing some of the things I've read here and even as long as I've been doing this I still find after trying what I've read that I had been doing it wrong before.  It would be so boring if all I printed was standard stuff all day everyday.  I love making a living at what I do but what thrills me more is when the customer picks up the order and tells me that they look much better then they had envisioned.

Sorry to hear about your situation but you will be better because of it in the long run.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »
Dan sorry to hear the news, but you should have known from the day you questioned the the black ink printing order these cats are set in there ways.  Most everyone on this board would be glad to take advice and up our game, but yep there is a but, some of us are set in our ways too and might be hard pressed to change even if we know it's for the better.  If you look at it that shop was and is way beneath your talent and vision, your type of shop is someone looking to move to the next level every other year or so and eager to try new things.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Lizard

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:59 PM »
Yeah that sucks Dan.  Let me know if I can help in any way.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
Sounds like the owner is stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline starchild

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 12:52:34 AM »
This is why I dont work for anyone else. I dont need someone controlling my life.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
At least they didn't drag it out over the course of months or years. This shop gets to be an aggravating bump in the road, rather than an excruciating long-term trap. Best of luck as you look for something better!
Nice guys laugh last.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
Having been in a similar situation recently I can certainly understand. As I get ready for the new adventure I am keenly aware of these issues. Best to you Dan all will be well

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
Did you find a new place Tony?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
Yes ............finishing up the details but Tuscaloosa. Brand new facility. I handled their contract work so there is history. Stressed out about the move but that will be short lived