Author Topic: BOOM! The axe has fallen after not even two weeks.  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
BOOM! The axe has fallen after not even two weeks.
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
So,
I was hired to make big improvements. Got a written job description. Tile of Operations Mgr. Then they changed that a wk later to "General Mgr. And after the first production meeting, the owner said...the boys in the back are not liking the idea of working for an outsider so I need to lower your title to be equal to theirs. So I was "demoted" to Art Production Mgr / R&D For fear the production Mgrs would be upset. So another wk goes by and I am sepping jobs, things are looking better than ever on press. I continually had one young production Mgr. About 25 yrs old that "knows it all" and he disputes everything I would try to suggest. The other older production Mgr. Is nicer but very focused on numbers and not so much quality.

Now mind you, I've had no "arguments" or voices raised at all. Period. Just telling them my ideas and they got their feathers ruffled.

So, I started gathering a list of reading material. I thought giving them this might spark some thought.   I gave them a few articles from Joe Clarks suggested print methods, "printing the better underbases,  S mesh info, higher underbase on sim process such as a 230. (they only use 156) now. Even gave them some literature with suggestion of different white base inks.  (Joe Clarks Synergy inks) for example at yesterday's meeting. It didn't go over well with the younger guy. He disputed all of it.

So, the owner calls me in with HR and says "It's just not working out so you can go home" today. Thanks for your time, we live your art, but what you want to do is not a good fit for our shop.

So, I asked. What part did you not agree with?  What negative things have (I done here in my less than two weeks?"  He's says...well, you didn't do anything negative. We are just not a high end shop and more focused on numbers.

Really?   Ok. So why then, dis you lay out in writing exactly what you wanted me to do here, give me the title to carry that out and have me quite the job I had...to turn around and fire me two wks later?

Crazy.

So I am looking for a full time job. ????
I called one shop waiting for the owner to get back.  In the mean time, I will be freelancing for Andy Anderson for a bit but still looking.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:04:05 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: BOOM! The axe has fallen after not even two weeks.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
been there done that.. 

keep keepen on bro!
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
dumbasses.  Anyone who resists simple crap like getting better ink and using S-mesh isn't actually interested in "numbers" since both of those will only improve "numbers".

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
That's crappy!
It's a tightrope. Owners wanted an outside force to guide them to the next level.
It is not hard to imagine that the existing work force resented them going to this outside force rather than just promoting someone from within the ranks, especially when this person expected them to make changes to their routine. Now it also appears that the owners didn't want you to make improvements in quality as much as in efficiency. (perhaps knowledge of corner cutting would have been a plus)
Look at the bright side, you didn't move for this job (at least I hope you didn't)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
Seen this before. 

Really dan you and tony should start something and just put us all out of business. ;)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
Sorry to hear Dan, their loss, let them continue to put out standard stuff anyone can do and not raise their game to the next level. I gotta laugh about a 25 year old disputing the work of Joe Clarke, jeez...
Again, it's this type of thing that made me go out on my own, though I must admit I sometimes miss clocking out and going home without having to think about anything until I got there in the morning. Good luck, you're a good man and it will work out.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
It always baffles me when I encounter people who literally have no desire to improve or even try another way.  Or worse, no concern for quality?!
I'll never understand people who are perfectly content with no progression in their life, business, etc. 
Sorry Dan.  It will be a blessing in disguise.  Eventually.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
I even still ha e an order for 300 shirts with them that they kept pushing back so now, a wk late and they are to print tomorrow.

Crazy stuff.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »
I even still ha e an order for 300 shirts with them that they kept pushing back so now, a wk late and they are to print tomorrow.

Crazy stuff.

If it wasn't due tomorrow, I'd pull and have one our friends here print it. I don't think you owe them a damn thing after the way they have treated you. Those owners sound gutless to me...

Steve

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
This is why I dont work for anyone else. I dont need someone controlling my life.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 04:35:54 PM »
This is why I dont work for anyone else. I dont need someone controlling my life.

Not married? LOL...

Steve

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

Not married? LOL...

Steve

Nope, I did finally ask her last year though, but we haven't tied the knot yet lol.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »
"but what you want to do is not a good fit for our shop"

Wrong. That shop was not a good fit for YOU. Not long from now you will be thanking them for firing you and saving you from high blood pressure.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
"but what you want to do is not a good fit for our shop"

Wrong. That shop was not a good fit for YOU. Not long from now you will be thanking them for firing you and saving you from high blood pressure.

^^^ This x1000

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
Sorry to hear Dan!  These are the same reasons I went out on my own!  You could do it to.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender