Author Topic: Car show T  (Read 2797 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Car show T
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Well here is my first real car rendering. I do not claim in any way shape or form to be an artist so feel free to let me have it. I usually send out this type of stuff but it is for an old trade program I attended in high school so I thought I would donate my time. I still need to add some more high lights and some finishing touches on the cars. I still have to bring in some more text and a background for the lower portion of the design. I should have it wrapped up later today. Now I know why these art guys charge so much. Well worth it.....lol

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Car show T
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
Looking good. I like the direction./Layout. Can't wait for more.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline virgil427

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
looks good, better highlites than i had with my first attempt

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
Pretty damn good for a first run!

I'm no truck artist (like..at all) but visually here's what jumps out at me - take it all w/ a grain of salt:

Shadows under the vehicles should maybe be knocked down to a grey with feathered edges instead of inky black. It would make the hard black outlines of the vehicles pop more.

Text at the top should maybe drop down to over-lap the frame, or even curve into it somehow. Perhaps the frame can even contour around the text. That would tie it all together a bit.

"HOT ROD AND TRUCK SHOW" can be a bit bigger in proportion to the rest of the frame.

That's just my $0.02. As it is now I'm sure they will really dig it.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
I will update this in a bit. I appreciate the feedback. There is more text that goes in between the top text and the design. Its parked over in illustrator for now. Its pretty damn ugly but that part of the art is used every year and they dont want it changed so its all I have to work with. At least they let me put in a little chrome in it.I was going to feather the shadows already but I will try the gray. I like that idea. When its done I will throw it back up. Thanks again for the feedback.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
Evo, Thats some good feedback you provided on that art. Thats the type of communication I would like to build here. A place where someone can improve on what they started. A group suggestion is always better than one. So please keep up that good work.  When I first saw it, I took it that the top type was a 2ndary part of the info not realizing that it was part of this design. So my saying that tells allot. You need to consider how you would bring that in to the picture and make a a part of that design more.

I'd like to see what you've done on it again.

Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
I will try and post a pic later today. I did not have an option for the text to move it too much. There is some more text that went underneath it that is really ugly. They use the same font laid out the same way ever year. I would have loved to have made a lot of changes but my hands were pretty tied. All and all the customer loved them and they turned out pretty good. Thanks for all the feedback as well. Thats why I posted it up. There are a lot of talented folks here and its great to have other eyes take a look.
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
Might want to consider moving the upper text lower, so that it overlaps the outside line of the border.
It will 'tie it all together' better.
Keep at it.
( good to hear someone realize this stuff takes a lot of work, and for that, you get a cookie  ;D )
Cheers.

* ah,  Chadwick should read all posts before posting.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:00:10 AM by Chadwick »