Author Topic: Need pointer on how to separate this!  (Read 2781 times)

Offline 2020 Print

• Verified/Junior
Need pointer on how to separate this!
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
Hey Guys,

I received a Vector art file from a customer the other day, everything looked good until I noticed this gradient star burst thing in it  :-\.

I was hoping someone here might have some good ideas on how to get this to work.

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

-Matt

Offline Prince Art

Re: Need pointer on how to separate this!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
What color is the shirt? Not white, I assume?

Last time this happened to me, also with a star, I talked to the customer about options. They wanted to keep things simple (=cheap) so they were okay altering the art slightly. We ended up with a solid vector star with a halftoned gradient around it. Both elements were white; the star was in the underlay and top white, gradient was in the top white only. I proofed them carefully, so they'd know what to expect from our halftones vs their original "computer monitor" gradient.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline 2020 Print

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »
The shirt will  be a dark charcoal.

The customer is a adamant we match the gradient.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
not too sure what the problem is. Where does this thing go in the art?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Jay Kay

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
I would greyscale the png and apply the appropriate spot color to the shape in Illustrator. You might want to adjust the levels within Photoshop first to get the appropriate K values. A handy plug-in I use for Illustrator is Phantasm by Astute Graphics. It gives you Photoshop-like color controls within Illustrator. It's not entirely necessary if you have Photoshop, rather just a workflow convenience. If you need it underbased, you could curve/level a duplicate object. Alternatively, You could bitmap halftone the shape in Photoshop and make a chocked underbase as well. Or a third option, use the .ai file I made that is just a outlined starburst with a blurred stroke.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
I would greyscale the png and apply the appropriate spot color to the shape in Illustrator. You might want to adjust the levels within Photoshop first to get the appropriate K values. A handy plug-in I use for Illustrator is Phantasm by Astute Graphics. It gives you Photoshop-like color controls within Illustrator. It's not entirely necessary if you have Photoshop, rather just a workflow convenience. If you need it underbased, you could curve/level a duplicate object. Alternatively, You could bitmap halftone the shape in Photoshop and make a chocked underbase as well. Or a third option, use the .ai file I made that is just a outlined starburst with a blurred stroke.

We output everything from Illy (better control than PS IMO) and one thing our dude hates is that if you create a vector underbase in Illy when you go to
print it will be knocked out as it's under other spot colors and won't print. Does Phantasm allow you to change that option? That would save us some
serious time. I'ma have him download the trial to find out but I thought I'd ask first.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
I saw a tut awhile back on this very subject about creating an underbase in illy and having it print correct, let me look and see if I can find it again and post.

I think this is the one I found and look at been  awhile  https://youtu.be/rma7AtJ9SJA
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:40:12 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
I saw a tut awhile back on this very subject about creating an underbase in illy and having it print correct, let me look and see if I can find it again and post.

I'd appreciate that. It's kind of a nuisance.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »

I think this is the one I found and look at been  awhile  https://youtu.be/rma7AtJ9SJA

No time to watch the vid, but a lot of times in Illy, you can place and image, then make a copy of it and invert it, which would give you a fine white base...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Jay Kay

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
We output everything from Illy (better control than PS IMO) and one thing our dude hates is that if you create a vector underbase in Illy when you go to
print it will be knocked out as it's under other spot colors and won't print. Does Phantasm allow you to change that option? That would save us some
serious time. I'ma have him download the trial to find out but I thought I'd ask first.

You need to set your objects to "overprint" in the attributes panel. That way Illustrator will print elements that are underneath it. You can then use your overprint preview to see how things will print. No need for another program. Phantasm does't control anything like that. It gives you controls such as Levels, Curves, Hue/Sat, Halftoning. etc that are usually dedicated to Photoshop.

Offline 2020 Print

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
not too sure what the problem is. Where does this thing go in the art?

The Problem is I need to separate the white from the purple so the white can be on the same screen as the underbase and the purple can be on the same screen as the purple text (not shown in the attached .PNG)