Author Topic: Why is this happening?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline tkdscore

Why is this happening?
« on: December 14, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
http://somup.com/cDl2DHK0E  password: ultraseps  (screen video)

Ultraseps guy said to use simulated #3 to separate this 5 color design.  Its coming out strange.  He said post here for questions.

Please help if you can.

I'm just looking at Black/Red/White/Gray/Light Gray

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Why is this happening?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
Is the white outside of your design white or transparent?  If it's not transparent it needs to be.  Also, have you tried changing the shirt background channel to another color?  My shirt background usually defaults to black after separating.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:22:06 PM by Doug S »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline tkdscore

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
Ok support helped me.  I wanted to make this a spot color job.  Ultraseps said use simulated process.  The spot color mode of his software was selecting non black areas as black.  He didn't address that question but had me do simulated #3.  It turned out 6 colors.  And I have 5 colors (white highlight killed me).  So I'm back to doing spot color separations. 

Here is my original question when trying to spot color separate.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDl2DHQ3Gm

Thanks.  I'm a newbie so if I frustrate you I'm sorry.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
No frustration here by any means.  This board has helped me many times so I try to help in return.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
This job only needed 5 colors.  Base, gray, red, highlight, black.  I did a sample separation and sent to the user.

There were a few issues on his end.  It appeared the separation was being run on a file that was used previously to run a separation on as that additional color layer is present, which is generated and used by Simulated #3.  Therefore, the file could be corrupt.  Unlikely but possible.

In addition to that, the Photoshop Preferences file was most likely damaged, which is resulting in these solid channels.  Additionally, the only image that should be open when running a separation is the image to be separated and nothing else.

Requested the user reset the Photoshop Preferences file.
http://www.ultraseps.com/reset-preferences.php

Followed by opening the Illustrator file in Photoshop at 300 dpi and run Simulated #3.

Adjust the channels and you’re all set.  Provided advice on how that should be done as well.

Directed user to this page on film output, as it contains everything you’ll ever need to know for all printing situations:
http://www.ultraseps.com/output-color-separations-to-film.php

Note:  Many printers, especially those newer to Photoshop and separations think the term simulated process is correlated to higher-end, realistic separations only, when that's not the case.  Simulated process is just a generic term that refers to breaking down an image that usually contains tonal transitions into a manageable number of spot channels within Photoshop.  Its not a scary thing although it can take a little practice to become proficient.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:47:34 PM »
Am I missing something in the image?  Looks like straight up spot color to me...

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
Am I missing something in the image?  Looks like straight up spot color to me...

Yes....you are.  I can't post my sample separation as it's not my property.  The gray falls off into tints with the black and there's also black tints over the reds in some of the letters.  Therefore, its not spot color.  I define spot color as all solids, at least within a raster environment.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:11:49 PM by UltraSeps »

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
And just an FYI to all, I replied to 10 emails from this user today to provide help along with providing a sample separation and advice on how it was accomplished for a total cost of $0.  Each reply was sent within minutes.  NOBODY else would have done so.

Have a great day!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »

Yes....you are.  I can't post my sample separation as it's not my property.  The gray falls off into tints with the black and there's also black tints over the reds in some of the letters.  Therefore, its not spot color.  I define spot color as all solids, at least within a raster environment.

Gotcha.  I can't/didn't see that in the video.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »
And just an FYI to all, I replied to 10 emails from this user today to provide help along with providing a sample separation and advice on how it was accomplished for a total cost of $0.  Each reply was sent within minutes.  NOBODY else would have done so.

Have a great day!

Steve, you have always been prompt to respond and it's greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers