Author Topic: Polyken Tape  (Read 7697 times)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Polyken Tape
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
Does anyone know the correct Polyken tape number for Newman mesh protection?

We use it but it's under a house brand, and that supplier is backordered...

Can't find it at Nazdar/SourceOne unless this is correct:

https://sourceone.nazdar.com/P/3897/801-Screenblock-Tape

But I don't think so?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Polyken Tape
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
I believe its 221. I think Shur-Loc started carrying it on their new website.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
Whatever Kevin at River City stocks is the correct one.

http://www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com/products/details/polyken-221-cloth-tape

Derp, yes it's  221

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »
Haha thanks guys. Polykens product selection is a maze to say the least.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
Is it me, or is this essentially gaffers tape? I've found gaffers tape locally at a theatre supply for around $13 per roll... but I'm not sure they are the same.

Offline TH Apparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
Is it me, or is this essentially gaffers tape? I've found gaffers tape locally at a theatre supply for around $13 per roll... but I'm not sure they are the same.

gaffers tape works.  We have some on our frames now.  Better than some of the other tapes we've tried.
Gorilla tape works great if you're like us and don't retension as often as you should.  cost is about 8.50/roll for 35 yards.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »

gaffers tape works.  We have some on our frames now.  Better than some of the other tapes we've tried.
Gorilla tape works great if you're like us and don't retension as often as you should.  cost is about 8.50/roll for 35 yards.

Do those leave adhesive when pealed off? I like the Polyken stuff but it sure is pricy. But I guess considering the size of the roll, it isn't terrible.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »

Do those leave adhesive when pealed off? I like the Polyken stuff but it sure is pricy. But I guess considering the size of the roll, it isn't terrible.

Gaffers tape leaves no residue.  It is pretty great stuff.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »

Gaffers tape leaves no residue.  It is pretty great stuff.

Like any tape, that depends on which one you get. There are many, MANY brands and formulas of gaff tape.

The best "permanent" tape I've used is the 3" gorilla tape in white or black. Get the screens up to final tension then apply. It will easily last for the life of the mesh and survives dip tank soakings. Gaff tape if left on long enough will degrade and fall off from solvents and cleaners.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 03:32:22 PM »
Rise from the grave.

We switched to Gorilla Tape ~6 months ago as getting the correct Polyken product in was annoying at best.
All was well, it's durable and survives reclaim. But.....

It leaves a gnarly adhesive that makes re-stretching a nightmare. All up in the channels, can't get the locking strips out
or back in, and softening corners? Forget about it. The kids are not happy. Not happy at all.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for removing the adhesive, aside from the obvious?
I'm not a big fan of strong solvents in the shop when a better or different product will work.
What I'm hoping (dreaming) of ideally is something we can put in a dip tank, soak for a week, and then pressure wash off.
We have quite a few of these already, and a growing number over the next year or more.

Switching back to Polyken.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 02:38:15 PM »
You done effed up when you put tape on there. There isn't really a good solution for removal, wire wheel, sandblast, gasoline? Yikes. If I had a lot to do, I might just bite the bullet and buy one of those Chinese CW lasers from Acctek on Ali Express.

Best not to use tape at all.

I used to buy the roller wrap mesh protectors from Jessup when they were still in business. They closed last year, and I had one of my guys drive up to Jersey with a trailer and dumpster dive for their remaining stock. I have a ton of 8 ft sections that I can cut down if someone wants to throw us a couple bones for the stock, cutting, and shipping. Available in pink and orange, sized for MZX frame width. No M3. Can cut to any length.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 04:13:32 PM »
Interesting. We only use M3's, and I have a box of the Newman protectors upstairs but they are lacking the angled flange
and when we tried them once they were universally rejected, they flop around too much.

Smart move sending someone to dumpster them for you.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 04:23:43 PM »
Dang I’m pretty sure they had m3 plastic as well. Jay said they spent a bunch of money getting all of the tooling made to extrude to plastic, but they never sold that well for them.

I didn’t realize that the Newman protectors didn’t have the flange. Those were always to spendy and out of our budget.

Check out that CW laser though… just straight vaporize the tape, prob wouldn’t even have to pull it haha

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 05:14:13 PM »
Dang I’m pretty sure they had m3 plastic as well. Jay said they spent a bunch of money getting all of the tooling made to extrude to plastic, but they never sold that well for them.

I didn’t realize that the Newman protectors didn’t have the flange. Those were always to spendy and out of our budget.

Check out that CW laser though… just straight vaporize the tape, prob wouldn’t even have to pull it haha

I was going to mention trying to get ahold of the die for the extrusion. It's surprisingly cheap once you're setup.
Not that it looks like you'll need anymore though...

Lasers looks cool but could you imagine the smell of ablated duct tape?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 07:30:13 AM »
Rise from the grave.

We switched to Gorilla Tape ~6 months ago as getting the correct Polyken product in was annoying at best.
All was well, it's durable and survives reclaim. But.....

It leaves a gnarly adhesive that makes re-stretching a nightmare. All up in the channels, can't get the locking strips out
or back in, and softening corners? Forget about it. The kids are not happy. Not happy at all.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for removing the adhesive, aside from the obvious?
I'm not a big fan of strong solvents in the shop when a better or different product will work.
What I'm hoping (dreaming) of ideally is something we can put in a dip tank, soak for a week, and then pressure wash off.
We have quite a few of these already, and a growing number over the next year or more.

Switching back to Polyken.
I've started using the endurance panels from shurloc to get rid of tape.  As far as removal, the  ink degradient does the trick for me.  I just spray it on both sides, let sit for 2 or 3 minutes, use a brush and pressure wash off. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.