Author Topic: Film sizing  (Read 2224 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Film sizing
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:39:39 AM »
First off I use Corel. Here is my situation I have to make screens for regular size shirt, and for youth x-small shirts, which means two different sets of films for making screens. How do you my fellow screen printers make a set of smaller films after you have made the regulars size films. This is how I have been doing it. First I save the regular size films file. I then  make a solid square filled with a color of choice place the square at the back of the page, size the square so it just touches the edge of the design top bottom and sides of the design, I then group all, align to the center of the page, then size to what I want for the smaller shirts, I again align to the center of the page. Repeat this step for each seperation each being on a seperate page. Then add registration marks, for one separation, and copy, and paste them to the other seperations. How do you do it.

Offline Northland

Re: Film sizing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
.... not sure if I understand why you use a "box" method ?? Maybe I'm missing something ??

My process:
--- the design is placed on a formatted registration template (regi-marks in the same location every time). Center design on the page.
--- Print all adult size films.
--- Group all elements of the design (except the regi-marks), then copy & paste the design onto a new page for the youth size.
--- Make sure the design dimensions are locked on the "property" bar, then reduce the width by 25% and center to the page (so a 12"wide design becomes 9" wide..etc).
--- print youth films.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:40:49 AM by Northland »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
Change the design size to whatever is appropriate and print new films. I'm not sure I understand why this is a question or how it relates to film size exactly... you can just as easily put a kid sized design on an 8.5x11 as you can on a 36x36 film...

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
I should have said design sizing from adult to youth. I am doing mine similar to what Northland does.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
.... not sure if I understand why you use a "box" method ?? Maybe I'm missing something ??

My process:
--- the design is placed on a formatted registration template (regi-marks in the same location every time). Center design on the page.
--- Print all adult size films.
--- Group all elements of the design (except the regi-marks), then copy & paste the design onto a new page for the youth size.
--- Make sure the design dimensions are locked on the "property" bar, then reduce the width by 25% and center to the page (so a 12"wide design becomes 9" wide..etc).
--- print youth films.

This, but in Illustrator, pretty much the same...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
I normally would have the entire design grouped so that it can be sized, centered, moved as needed, with the design on a separate layer from reg marks. For youth sizes, I duplicate the layer, select the group, adjust the size of the group. Usually have a separate layer for youth reg marks. If I'm doing 1 color, where we only use centerline marks, I'll just duplicate the adult copy of those, and nudge them into place.

In Photoshop, I usually resize a copy of the adult art down to youth in a separate document.
Nice guys laugh last.