Author Topic: 60% Cotton / 40% Modal ???  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Maff

• !!!
60% Cotton / 40% Modal ???
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
Anyone with experience printing on Modal??

Of course, my customer wants discharge (possibly white or beige discharge) and the shirt color is Peacock, which is a blueish teal color.... so that will make it more fun :o
The exact shirt is - Alternative 2814 - they are really nice, thin, very soft Egyptian cotton ... oh yeah and they are crazy expensive!
According to Wikipedia, Modal is a type of rayon, a semi-synthetic cellulose fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose, in this case often from beech trees.
I've already warned my customer to keep an open mind since we are dealing with variables that may not lead to a opaque results and they are cool with that thankfully.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: 60% Cotton / 40% Modal ???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Yes from the testing I have done modal discharges awesome! Chances are though that color garment will not discharge well though. A good option is discharge base with hsa on top as the garment will discharge enough to make the top color nice

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
OK great thanks!
I got an extra shirt to test with first and see how it reacts. They need to decide on the final print color still. They may be fine with less opaque but if not the HSA screen on top may be the way to go.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:45:17 PM by Maff »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
I'll back up Danny I've been doing some 80 20s and some 90 10 for my guys and the stuff discharges beautifully on black.

Tealish blue.. ooof
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:18 AM »
Update

These worked out really great. Customer went with a cream color discharge. We used a blend of Matsui 75 and Sericol, 5% activator and they discharged nicely.
Here is a quick pic.
Great coffee btw! and they always have nice hand drawn artwork to print.