Author Topic: Accurip and the Epson 1430  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Accurip and the Epson 1430
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
I see many of you using these, but I gotta say. I am finding Accurip to kinda suck at halftones along with this 1430.  My 45lpi I felt was kinda fat. I had a few discussions with the Accurip's Tech and he was pretty much not very helpful. Kept avoiding my questions about the dot gain and acted like it was a major thing to do compensation and if I tried, I'd have to have Charles do it "on a consulting trip".  Nah, thanks.

So I bumped my lpi to 50 to gain a little more of a finer dot...and IT"S STILL FAT/HEAVY like as if I'm printing 35-40lpi. 

My first week here, I dabbled into the dot gain feature and compensated a little. Guess what, It came out THE OPPOSITE of what I was trying to do. Just want to take a little out, but it added gain. I stopped messing with it, but now I'm gonna get back in and kick that thing around.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Accurip and the Epson 1430
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Here Dan, is your answer. Bottom of the first page...

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=8782.0

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:24 AM »
Thanks,  I read that again.

So, I tried this on the Epson 1430 due to my dots seeming too heavy.  I entered the values Pierre listed and again, heavier than what I am getting.
In fact, I am reading 0% in Photoshop while the film is kicking out a 1%.  Now, I know if you have the 0 set at 1, you will get 1% in all areas intended to be white so you don't want to have anything in the 0 location. This is not the case. I have a 0 in 0. So, I opened the art file and adjusted the curves to take out even more. Taking out what could be the 2% in this area.  Still, dots come out where it should be nothing (AND), I know my photoshop profiles do tno compensate here also.

What gets me, is this RIP, based on how you all are describing to enter the values, It's bass awards. Like, some of or all of the rips I've worked on for dot gain compensation, is like curves in photoshop.   You want a 50, you drop the curve to 40 (for example).  Here, if you want a 50, you enter what you are getting/reading. If it's a 60, you enter in the 50 spot. BUT, it's not happening for me.  Still too heavy. The shadow tones especially.  Will look at it more later.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Thanks,  I read that again.

So, I tried this on the Epson 1430 due to my dots seeming too heavy.  I entered the values Pierre listed and again, heavier than what I am getting.
In fact, I am reading 0% in Photoshop while the film is kicking out a 1%.  Now, I know if you have the 0 set at 1, you will get 1% in all areas intended to be white so you don't want to have anything in the 0 location. This is not the case. I have a 0 in 0. So, I opened the art file and adjusted the curves to take out even more. Taking out what could be the 2% in this area.  Still, dots come out where it should be nothing (AND), I know my photoshop profiles do tno compensate here also.

What gets me, is this RIP, based on how you all are describing to enter the values, It's bass awards. Like, some of or all of the rips I've worked on for dot gain compensation, is like curves in photoshop.   You want a 50, you drop the curve to 40 (for example).  Here, if you want a 50, you enter what you are getting/reading. If it's a 60, you enter in the 50 spot. BUT, it's not happening for me.  Still too heavy. The shadow tones especially.  Will look at it more later.

Once you have results from a densitometer, you drop those numbers into the AccuRIP file, which then compensates for the difference. If you are getting a 60% reading at the 50% part of the image, enter 60 into the 50% box, which should make it print lighter. DO NOT reprint the test file, it won't change with the settings you put in, it ignores them. Instead, try outputting a grayscale image before you put the new numbers in, then print that image after you put the numbers in, you should see a major difference...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't