Author Topic: M&R Diamondback 6 color automatic questions  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

M&R Diamondback 6 color automatic questions
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Thinking of taking the plunge of buy my first used automatic. Diamondback 6 color / 8 station.

What size chiller would I need for this press and whats the price range?

Also, am I wasting my time on an automatic 6 color? I do have a 8 color chamelon that i Have never used all 8 colors yet.

I've been told a 6 color automatic is not worth it....what are your thoughts?

Anyone have one of these presses? What is your opinion on it?

Just looking for some insight before I jump on it.
Mark

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: M&R Diamondback 6 color automatic questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
Depends on your market. If the majority of your prints are 1-3 colors then a larger auto might not be necessary. Buying a press with more heads just gives you more options for the future. Should you expand your services and start taking in different clients, you might outgrow the 6 color press. The shop I'm in now would be fine with a 6 color auto because we hardly ever print over 2 colors. Plus the diamondback has the revolver mode so if you need to print 4-5 colors on darks you can probably get away with it. I personally don't have an auto, but have just been researching. dback is on the list. All I can fit in the shop is a 6-7 color auto so It'll have to do.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Talk to Sam at Palomar (socalmf). He has a Diamondback and I think it's a 6/8.

The main difference in heads between an auto and a manual is you lose heads with an auto. For example, if you are printing a white underbase, head 1 is your underbase, head 2 is your flash, head 3 (should be) your cool down station. That leaves you 3 colors left.

That said, if you post about getting an 8 color a ton of people will tell you they wouldn't go that small, etc.

Depending on your typical jobs you very well could be fine. Talk to people with 6 color presses and get there thoughts.

As for myself, I have an 7/8 Anatol and don't foresee myself getting jobs with too many colors to print. And in the rare events that I do, there are plenty of contact printers out there to help me. I have a very small shop and 90% of my work is 1-3 colors.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
...check this thread, It has a in-depth post concerning my Diamondback 6/8.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=914.msg8289#msg8289
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
don't do 6. I have 6 and it works for a majority, but...it freakin sucks..... buy the most you can afford. I am looking at an 8/10 sportsman or a 10/12...waiting to hear back on a few things. and go with a quartz flash too...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
don't do 6. I have 6 and it works for a majority, but...it freakin sucks..... buy the most you can afford. I am looking at an 8/10 sportsman or a 10/12...waiting to hear back on a few things. and go with a quartz flash too...

what brand press do you have? Does it suck becuase not enough colors or does it suck because the actual press is sub-par?

ANd I am getting what I can afford...don't have the funds for an 8 auto...and this 6 seems like a good deal.
Mark

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:30:56 AM »
I have a gauntlet. The problem is not the press, I can work around those issue, being an older machine. The problem is, you only have 6 heads/ So when you run a white, you almost need 3 heads to do it effectively, print, flash, cool, and then your top colors. Adding that second flash in there really helps too, but with only 6 heads, your limited to what can do. I bought my machine wanting more heads, but I didn't know what I really needed -so I bought an older machine to help me figure it out.  Now I have a better idea. Minimum is 8 heads -it shouldn't be labeled as 8 colors either, that's assuming no flash....I am adding more colors to my designs as I get better, it's nice to have 2 black screens, highlite whites and so on.... There are some killer deals on 8 color machines out there. . .6's come and go by the dozens too. . .search it out on here, there is so much good to read through, mr T's link is a good place to start. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
Go here
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=914.0
This thread is very similar. 
I have a DB and responded there.
Terry
P.S. don't know where you are, but you are welcome here to see the DB.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
I have a gauntlet. The problem is not the press, I can work around those issue, being an older machine. The problem is, you only have 6 heads/ So when you run a white, you almost need 3 heads to do it effectively, print, flash, cool, and then your top colors. Adding that second flash in there really helps too, but with only 6 heads, your limited to what can do. I bought my machine wanting more heads, but I didn't know what I really needed -so I bought an older machine to help me figure it out.  Now I have a better idea. Minimum is 8 heads -it shouldn't be labeled as 8 colors either, that's assuming no flash....I am adding more colors to my designs as I get better, it's nice to have 2 black screens, highlite whites and so on.... There are some killer deals on 8 color machines out there. . .6's come and go by the dozens too. . .search it out on here, there is so much good to read through, mr T's link is a good place to start. . .

Just out of curiosity, when do 2 black screens come in handy? I understand a base white and highlight white, but I've never seen 2 black screens run on an auto.

Offline Northland

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
I do two black screens on occasion.
One screen with some fine halftones and a second with a solid fill.

Just out of curiosity, when do 2 black screens come in handy? I understand a base white and highlight white, but I've never seen 2 black screens run on an auto.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
ah, guess that makes sense depending on the artwork. Thanks.