Author Topic: printed discharge on gildan 5000's and American Apparel  (Read 11478 times)

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: printed discharge on gildan 5000's and American Apparel
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
those prints rock guys, keep 'em coming.  Also, has anybody ever tried printing plastisol over a discharge base?  Just wondering if it's possible.

Yup. 230-305 -almost no hand at all. wet on wet all the way through. I ran some glitter in the last head, double stroke and they turned out beautiful. try it, only way to learn. Now if I could only get my dye figured out, they always look so flat and muted.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
Printed 2 colors plastisol wet on wet on top of an unflashed waterbase discharge base the hand was softer than flashing the discharge unbase first for some reason.

Really though the smell is enough to keep me away from making this a regular used ink in the shop, only when asked for.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:18:43 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
have you tried the Ryonet stuff?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
I only did a sample with that Ryonet white discharge and used the Jantex discharge agent that I have any seriously I did not notice a strong smell at all but when using the Jantex discharge base it will smell the shop up for a couple days.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
Nice print. Pretty damn good detail for a 110 as well.

The "Ryonet" branded white and clear discharge bases are fantastic. That's because it's CCI product, like most of the chemicals that Ryonet sells. (you can call CCI and order it directly...). It's very smooth and prints really easy. Stinks a little less too.

BTW - if you really want to smell bad ink, toss a lid on the pot of discharge at the end of the day and don't open it for a week...

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »
Oh and in my experience, Gildan shirts discharge much better than AA shirts in general.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
Oh and in my experience, Gildan shirts discharge much better than AA shirts in general.

AA's never seemed to work awesome for discharge, to much material to wet to make it work right.

I like to use Anvil 779 as they discharge great and have tear away tags. Did this 6 color wet on wet a couple weeks ago.

I've still got to try the CCI base, it's all I hear lately but my home brew white mix with the matsui is perfect now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:51:26 AM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
Very nice.  We got xlnt results with the Wilflex NF discharge and Gildan T's. We also got good results with American Apparel t's yet it was a very different yet distinct discharge.  In my test, every brand T's dye reacts differently to the various discharge bases out there, finding the right mix of discharge brand and t shirt brand is the hardest part of the R&D. Once you got it, it smooth sailing from there. Looks like you nailed it, very nice samples
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »
Once you got it, it smooth sailing from there.
Eh, mostly. I have run into weird batches of shirts where the dye is just stubborn. Sometimes even just a half dozen or so in a box. Everything else will discharge perfectly, and there are some duds in a batch.

Gildan is relatively consistent though, as is Fruit of the Loom. (in my experience anyway)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »
Someone asked if it was printing the ink that stinks or the curing, as a wet ink you can only smell it if you stuck your face in it, but exiting the dryer it smokes (steam) or mix of both and man does it stink!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
Someone asked if it was printing the ink that stinks or the curing, as a wet ink you can only smell it if you stuck your face in it, but exiting the dryer it smokes (steam) or mix of both and man does it stink!
Many shops that do discharge on a regular basis will add extra exhaust goods at each end of the tunnel. It really is a great test of your current exhaust, eh?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

That was me.  Excellent to know.  I figured venting the hell out of the dryer all around would do the trick with a small hood over the flash if that becomes a frequent habit. 

Next I'm wondering if it would be best to straight up pre-launder the discharge prints so there's a soft hand out of the box, no smell and hopefully less formaldehyde at that point than the shirt had as a preservative in it's cotton before printing.  It'd be nice for retailers too as when people asks "does it shrink" they could say they're pre-laundered so just wash cold, tumble medium and no shrinkage.  It'd also be very handy to have a washer/dryer in the shop for wash testing garments right away.  Big runs would have to go to a laundry service at an additional fee of course. 

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

That was me.  Excellent to know.  I figured venting the hell out of the dryer all around would do the trick with a small hood over the flash if that becomes a frequent habit. 

Next I'm wondering if it would be best to straight up pre-launder the discharge prints so there's a soft hand out of the box, no smell and hopefully less formaldehyde at that point than the shirt had as a preservative in it's cotton before printing.  It'd be nice for retailers too as when people asks "does it shrink" they could say they're pre-laundered so just wash cold, tumble medium and no shrinkage.  It'd also be very handy to have a washer/dryer in the shop for wash testing garments right away.  Big runs would have to go to a laundry service at an additional fee of course.

I would be too afraid of getting complaints the shirts look used. Then there is the issue of more time needed to complete the job, no washer and dryer at the shop. How do you charge for laundry service?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
I just tried discharge a few weeks ago I posted how bad it stunk I tried it in my house VERY BAD IDEA. Anyway I loved it, it was Ryonet's discharge on Gildan 6.1 oz shirts it worked great, so great I am moving my shop to my garage so I can use it more. Super easy to work with, by the way it was my first jump into water based inks I really liked the end results and the clean  up was great. A trick someone told was to keep a spray bottle of water by the press and every 20 minutes or so wet down the ink and screen lightly, it helps keep it from drying in the screen.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »

AA's never seemed to work awesome for discharge, to much material to wet to make it work right.

I like to use Anvil 779 as they discharge great and have tear away tags. Did this 6 color wet on wet a couple weeks ago.

I've still got to try the CCI base, it's all I hear lately but my home brew white mix with the matsui is perfect now.

Just curious of the print order. Care to divulge?  ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin