Author Topic: Screen printing Troubleshooting  (Read 4207 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Screen printing Troubleshooting
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Anyone have a good screen printing troubleshooting book or chart to recommend?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen printing Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »
theshirtboard.com
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
I did see an awesome chart one time, I think it was specific to emulsion problems though.

You'd need like 75 billion charts for the whole enchilada though, so yeah, theshirtboard.com.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
A flow chart might work better.  Because half the time there are several "solutions" and usually combo of them work.

Better yet, hire tony.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
here is one that I have on my wall.  I am not sure where I cam across it but it has several situations you might run into.  It is a pdf file so you can zoom in a see the writing clearly.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
here is one that I have on my wall.  I am not sure where I cam across it but it has several situations you might run into.  It is a pdf file so you can zoom in a see the writing clearly.
thanks
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:51 PM »
I know this isn't quite the reply you may be looking for, but when troubleshooting your problems always be sure not to "band-aid" your problems. Pre-engineer your jobs so that you don't run into problems when you are printing!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
The issue with a "Troubleshooting Guideline" manual or such is that it is difficult if not impossible to correctly address the mutually interdependent variables and their exponentially positive and negative affects upon one another. If put under a microscope and scientifically analyzed one would find that a properly constructed flow chart would branch out to infinity. This is often the root cause of why outside consultants often fail. They take an assembly line business model approach to a mass-customization process. They often fail to predict where an implementation of improvement in one area can cause ripple negative affects in others; essentially backfiring the entire process. As owners, operators, managers, and printers, most of us experience this almost on a daily basis. We get it.
Often we can exactly replicate an entire project form soup to nuts in two different facilities and achieve different results. Conversely, we can also approach and produce the same project differently and achieve the same outcome. Chaos Theory? Perhaps.
So ask questions here. You will most likely recieve informed, and yes opinionated, responses. Then go out there and make some mistakes. Observe, reflect, and make improvements.
I officially apologize for getting so wordy at such an early hour.
tp

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
Well, for guys like me something like the chart provided helps to give me things to look at before I come pester you guys. :)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
The issue with a "Troubleshooting Guideline" manual or such is that it is difficult if not impossible to correctly address the mutually interdependent variables and their exponentially positive and negative affects upon one another. If put under a microscope and scientifically analyzed one would find that a properly constructed flow chart would branch out to infinity. This is often the root cause of why outside consultants often fail. They take an assembly line business model approach to a mass-customization process. They often fail to predict where an implementation of improvement in one area can cause ripple negative affects in others; essentially backfiring the entire process. As owners, operators, managers, and printers, most of us experience this almost on a daily basis. We get it.
Often we can exactly replicate an entire project form soup to nuts in two different facilities and achieve different results. Conversely, we can also approach and produce the same project differently and achieve the same outcome. Chaos Theory? Perhaps.
So ask questions here. You will most likely recieve informed, and yes opinionated, responses. Then go out there and make some mistakes. Observe, reflect, and make improvements.
I officially apologize for getting so wordy at such an early hour.
tp
So no  then eh?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
Well, for guys like me something like the chart provided helps to give me things to look at before I come pester you guys. :)

That's what I was going for.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
I've never seen a chart like that in my life.  It's got some decent info on there I must admit, but man, there are some funny things on there as well.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
I love that sheet.

Problem:  Mesh tension too low.
Solution:  Use higher tension mesh.

Problem:  Screen mesh too coarse.
Solution:  Use finer screen mesh.

Genius I tell you.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »
I love that sheet.

Problem:  Mesh tension too low.
Solution:  Use higher tension mesh.

Problem:  Screen mesh too coarse.
Solution:  Use finer screen mesh.

Genius I tell you.

Said before I could..

Oddly enough.. that 1-2 combo solves 90% of the industry's problem.

Notice on that chart.. the first solution to every problem is to use higher tension  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services