Author Topic: anyone using vmware fusion3 on imac  (Read 2961 times)

Offline shirtz

anyone using vmware fusion3 on imac
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
I bought a new imac and installed vmware fusion 3 and cannot get filmmaker 3 or a download of accurip to print to a epson 1400.
Any ideas

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: anyone using vmware fusion3 on imac
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
You don't mention that you've installed a version of Windows. Just wondering if you thought that Fusion was a substitute for Windows.. It only allows you to install and run Windows on the Mac.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »
I'd give Charlie Facini a call at AccuRIP, he's very knowledgable. I run Fusion 3 because I needed to run some software, but then the software came out in Mac format, and that was that. Now I never use it.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline DILLON

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
I've used vmware before, and found it buggy. Now if I HAVE to have a windows app I run it in wine. It feels alot more native. As for printing I think you have to set one of vmware's drivers for your printer. It should be aware of a usb/network connection.

I think both FM and Accurip run on mac though, you shouldn't even need a partition

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
Unplug your usb connection, click inside of the fusion window and plug it back in.  Windows (what version do you have on the vm?) will recognize the printer and you should be all good to go. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a better solution to this but this one's quick, dirty and works.  I have fusion but haven't installed it on our newer computers as I have, apparently, zero need for windows now. 

Accurip runs on mac, FM does not by the way.  Accurip is a little different I think in the fact that's it just auto-generates it's own drivers so os isn't much of an issue I suppose.  I was very interested in FM but the fella claimed that nobody uses macs enough to justify making a version.  That must be true in some sort of market analysis figures but not in the real world if you ask me but to each their own I suppose.  I'd more than likely be running FM if there was a mac version.  I really don't feel like using VM or a rip station just for one program. 

One other option that I used to use as a compromise is to get a used old laptop without the screen with XP sp2 for your rip station and run it into the second input on your display.   When it's rip time, just pull out your little keyboard sized computer, switch inputs on the monitor and set it loose.   Keeps the 'ol office from being cluttered. 

Offline shirtz

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:01 AM »
I have XP installed  and what I'm trying to do is slowly transition from windows to mac. Therefore I need to have corel draw on the imac and be able to output to a rip. Meantime I will learn illy. I've been using corel since the mid 90's and I'm looking forward to learning a new program.
Thanks for your help

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
So did you get it to recognize the printer?

Offline shirtz

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
Thanks zoo that did it.

Offline Screen Printer

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »
I have XP installed  and what I'm trying to do is slowly transition from windows to mac. Therefore I need to have corel draw on the imac and be able to output to a rip. Meantime I will learn illy. I've been using corel since the mid 90's and I'm looking forward to learning a new program.
Thanks for your help

You can continue on Coral on your PC....save it as an ai file.

Network your pc and Mac.

Get on Mac in Illlustrator and open the ai file and print it.

Don't put windows in that Mac..hehehehe
You wouldn't put a Chevrolet engine in a Mercedes.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
I use vmware fusion to run my RIP. It seemed buggy, but then I upgraded some of the parts of my computer and it runs like a top now. Part of the problem with using a vm on a personal computer is that you need to have enough resources to run two computers well enough on the same hardware.

There is a menu under virtual machine>USB that will show the stuff that is connected to your computer via usb and from there, you can connect them. There are also little usb icons on the bottom of the window that will allow you to connect hardware by clicking on them. Just in case anyone else needs to know the answer or for future reference.

Even though my iphone is supposed to always connect to my mac, vmware asks, it still shows in that menu.