Author Topic: That elusive Flo Pink  (Read 3194 times)

Offline squeegee

That elusive Flo Pink
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
Just a quickie one color rush today, gildans, small qty order.  Instead of a white base, possibly PFPF, then flo pink plastisol, just a single discharge color, one screen and bam  ;D

One less screen, no flashing and a better print.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: That elusive Flo Pink
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
who's discharge?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
Thats very good. Flos are usually problematic for discharge. The pigments used to be sold as powderes but now as liquids you have to make sure they don't settle.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »
That is bad ass! This reminds me Tony we have tons of pigment powders from many years ago all manoukian, I wonder if I could still use them?
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »
Would that be from Paul DeWyngart? My guess is yes.....try suspending them in some CCI or whatever.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
who's discharge?

Sericol.  I did make a "killer" yellow yesterday per Tony's tips with oasis pigment/cci base, best pure yellow I've gotten yet, used that on a different job today and the customer loved it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:29:34 PM by squeegee »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
I used some CCI discharge white and love it. Its not as perfect white as I would like but it is really close. I used 4% powder and then 6% powder. The smell was next to nothing. I then used it as a underbase wet on wet and it worked perfectly. I can't wait set up my first job using it as a underbase. Any tips?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
Actually Tony i have tons and tons of manoukian products I could probably make anything if I knew how. I used to work for a supplier that carried the manoukian and Day-glo corp stuff. Also some Pavonine as well.
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
Hell yes.  How's the hand on that compared to a plastisol white ub? 

I'm amazed that the black dye, discharged out of the shirt fibers, didn't migrate into the translucent top plastisol color.  But then again I know just about nothin' about discharge so it's all fairly amazing to me at this point.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »
Oh and regarding those pigment powders, what would be the m.o. for figuring out how much you can add to a base?  Is there a typical 'safe zone' like 10-18% or something that you could start with and then crock and cure test from there? 

Offline squeegee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
Hell yes.  How's the hand on that compared to a plastisol white ub? 

I'm amazed that the black dye, discharged out of the shirt fibers, didn't migrate into the translucent top plastisol color.  But then again I know just about nothin' about discharge so it's all fairly amazing to me at this point.

Zoo, there was no UB, though you could do flo pink plastisol over a discharge base, that would look stellar as well, not sure if the discharge would affect the flo pink plastisol printed wet, but if it does there's always that evil flash to remedy any color shifting.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
Squeegee- I know this may sound like stupid question: When using discharge white as a under base wet do you have to do anything else then a small trap like we do with plastisol?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »
that was a single hit of discharge?  god damn. 

Offline squeegee

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
Squeegee- I know this may sound like stupid question: When using discharge white as a under base wet do you have to do anything else then a small trap like we do with plastisol?

I think that's a good question but no I don't think so.  We did fine tune our traps or chokes after starting to UB plastisol with discharge, but I'd have differ to my staff for the reasons because I don't remember exacty, but basically we use different amounts according to the art not the ink.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
that was a single hit of discharge?  god damn.

It was a double hit, it looked okay with a single really, but just looked a bit better with a double.  Honestly I think the customer would have been fine with it with one hit, but it was a small run so we just hit er twice.  We did a smaller coverage design as a test with some left over ink afterwards and it looked fine with a single hit.