Author Topic: Virus Inks  (Read 3702 times)

Offline 2020 Print

• Verified/Junior
Virus Inks
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
Hey,

Wanted to see if anyone had used Virus Inks "Wow" Wet on wet water-based ink and know what their thoughts were on it.

Offline woodrow

• Verified/Junior
Re: Virus Inks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm curious as well, seems the WOW has been issues for us in getting through our first couple of runs even with extra cures...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
Hey,

Wanted to see if anyone had used Virus Inks "Wow" Wet on wet water-based ink and know what their thoughts were on it.
I watched the demonstrations here at M&R last week and was very impressed. They were doing 9 colors wet on wet with only the white underbase being flashed.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Hey,

I watched the demonstrations here at M&R last week and was very impressed. They were doing 9 colors wet on wet with only the white underbase being flashed.

did it have two underbases?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
I'll put this out there........ The biggest innovation since plastisol this industry has ever seen....... The inks are amazing but I will bet only 5% or less shops in the world are going to be using them. They are not for your average ink slinger thats for sure. We have several KG on order so hopefully it will arrive sooner then later.

It was a really great demo that virus put on. Very thankful for virus and m&r as it was a really nice presentation everyone did. It was truly impressive and glad I was able to partake.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
Hey,

did it have two underbases?
Yes it did. First one was a 305  and flash. second one was a 160, flash, and no cool down. Afterward 9 colors with the last being a highlight white.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Danny:

Can you share your thoughts on why its not for the average user?

I have been looking for anything that's not fluff or PR.  Real user type info.  If you know of a good link, I will take that too.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 04:47:22 PM »
I'll put this out there........ The biggest innovation since plastisol this industry has ever seen....... The inks are amazing but I will bet only 5% or less shops in the world are going to be using them. They are not for your average ink slinger thats for sure. We have several KG on order so hopefully it will arrive sooner then later.

It was a really great demo that virus put on. Very thankful for virus and m&r as it was a really nice presentation everyone did. It was truly impressive and glad I was able to partake.
Are they crazy expensive?
Do you mean just average printer or average WB printer?
What would make them so hard to use?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »
I just ordered the CMYK through SPR spresource.com

The Hydra Process HC WOW - http://www.virusinks.com/hydra-process-hc-wow.php

Plus the base white and retarder.  You send the artwork to Virus to do the separation http://www.virusinks.com/4you.php and then they send back the separations.

So far I know you print two under bases, flash both so it's dry to touch, print Y,M (possibly flash), C,K and there may be a highlight white, so at least 6 colors, possibly 7.

Now we are working on a shop shirt design to test it out.  I'll report back how it goes, we don't really do CMYK, but I would like to add it back as an option.

The CMYK inks are 32 ish dollars a quart, which I don't think is crazy, gallon of white is 90 which is on the high end of the spectrum, but about $10 more than other HSA whites

I'll try to post my trials and tribulations, but I figured that I could wait my whole life waiting for people to report back, I'd rather just try it myself

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
I wanted to bump this ancient thread and see if anyone had any more experiences with the Virus WOW inks. I got some of their waterbase foil adhesive and its great. Makes me want to check out their other products. It seems to good to be true and before I throw 300 bucks away on the starter kit, I wanted to see if anyone has any real life experience. I guess questions would be, does it actually work?!? Typical mesh counts for white or clear bases? Does it wash OK? I know the answer is to order it and try it myself, but I guess thats why I read this site 10 times a day. To learn from others! Thanks!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
Our first test didn't go so great, as we still weren't getting the opacity we had thought we should be getting. But we are going to try some different things after ISS.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Croft

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
From my talk I had with a distributor that had been to the factory for training he mentioned it is sort of like learning to print again , one coment that I got from my talk with him was that platen temp. is very important he mentioned 130* , making it not as simple as returning from break or extended down time and hitting go.

I'm in to try it well see how it goes , I may just order white to begin with but the sample looked good , we do mosltly blocky PMS match corporate work here and the sample I saw was very similar to what we do.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
We did a process job with the inks.  Reactions were yes, the buildup is minimal, seps were good (and very affordable for the quality) but the hand left a little to be desired.  I heard this in the other thread form rstefanick but assumed that it was the shirt/fabric. 

Our print was on ringspun cotton as usual and wasn't gnarly to the hand by any means but it did not represent an improvement over any other method we use to print pro and sim pro jobs, a little bit of a step back I'd say.   We even used a dc ub for the first underbase which is standard protocol here. 

We did not use Virus's recommended white ub ink which was oos so we slapped our go to Matsui HSA white on there.  It's possible that their ub white would make a difference.

So it gets a thumbs up overall from me although I'm not sure how often we'll use the system as sim pro is the preference here. 

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
It's a nice tool to add to the box. Good ink. Prints great just keep it moving and your platens hot. We used their white underbase as required but we prefer to print it on a discharge base. That's just us. It's a good system but depending on clientele and shop not necessarily for everyone.