Author Topic: just wondering if I was right or wrong in someone elses eyes  (Read 2966 times)

Offline aauusa

just wondering if I was right or wrong in someone elses eyes
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
on another board which is in no way a tee shirt board some "artist" posted a full dye mock up that he was wanting to sell as his own design.  Well from seeing his work in the past I knew from the first look that he did not do it.  Granted he could have paid for the right or commissioned someone to do it for him.  But see the pic I knew I had seen it before.  So I decided to go searching for it and low an behold I found it and it is a Anne Stokes original piece from 2007.  All he had done is cropped the bottom part of the image where the copyright info and her signature was. 

Now mind you I hate this tactic so I decide to comment on his post to at least give credit to the original artist and to make sure he has the right to reproduce it.  I could have made my post private to only him but when he had made the comment "thanks for the thumbs up on it,  I stay up night constantly trying to improve my skills as an artist".  That was just a slap in the tru artist face and a complete misrepresentation of facts about the piece.

Well none the less I was chastised for not being private and a few believe I was wrong for calling it out and should have let it go.  what is your opinion on this?  If need be I have posted a link below to the thread which I am refereing to.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1125911

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: just wondering if I was right or wrong in someone elses eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »
you did the right thing.  He is publicly lying about his design skills, you should in turn slam him publicly.  If it was a conversation between the 2 of you, don't take that to the boards.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
nope nothing was private all was public

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »
he had it coming.  If I posted stuff I copied from the internet on here and claimed it as mine, I would hope somebody would call me on it.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
The gall of some people just blows my mind. That said, I think being involved in this
industry makes us a bit more sensitive to copyright as opposed to the general public,
which is likely why you're catching flak. Not that it makes it right, just that it is.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
I don't think anybody called him on it....

Dr.Evil What If GOD was one of us

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
well, the topic seems to be missing!!!

the question is why did they remove it?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
the person who started the thread removed it.  But not after he stated the copyright information was still there but under the tag information.  I think he realized that he was wrong and hopefully he will not have any other similar transgressions.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
he had it coming.  If I posted stuff I copied from the internet on here and claimed it as mine, I would hope somebody would call me on it.

wth Brad...I said that one time at one place and you didnt give me credit...man oh man..what am I going to do with you...

Way to go calling the guys out...Not a lot of people have balls anymore...

and this guy is a DB.

Sam

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
I agree, you did the right thing!!!
If he is willing to blatently lie about his artwork what else is he lying about.  Just sayin.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
You did the right thing. Someone claiming another's art as their own is doggiedoo (hope I didn't offend anyone).

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Like the others, you did the right thing.  Especially more to protect someone down the road that might want to use this person's services so they know what he/she does.

But what really torks me most is that someone had the audacity to tell you it should have been in private.  That's the problem with where our society has gone.  It's all about this "feel good" mentality and "ohhhhh, let's all get along" and "lets not say things to hurt someone's feelings"  Well Bull Pucky.  If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.............someone needs to call it a duck.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
The distinction as to whether an issue which started on a public forum should continue in private, I believe, is when the point to be made is opinion, very subjective or is not certain.

This was calling out a total misrepresentation, and will be a learning and growing experience for the "perp" as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Our industry, " our people in our circle" feel the same way. We stand with you. As our forum grows, you will see more and more people who will chastise you for outing this guy. The larger we get the more chance we have for different thinking to come into the pool. Someone always pees in the pool. Look 10 years ago on the old forums. We had people arguing about copyright laws every other week. It's funny to see one or two of those same people today making aggressive steps to protect the art they own. I think we for the most part are indeed more seasoned in the knowledge of copyright info.

Boy, sometimes I watch those cop shows and think, man, I'm so glad I'm not a criminal and in cases like this, can you imagine the embarrassment?  This is when you can only sit back and say Man! I'm glad I'm one if the good guys. Lol.

Applause
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:58:56 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
funny I had a customer yesterday send me over some TM artwork she wanted printed for her daycare..we email her back and said that we do not print other peoples art unless giving permission.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!