Author Topic: For those that moved to CTS  (Read 1165 times)

Offline 1964GN

For those that moved to CTS
« on: September 22, 2019, 07:46:45 AM »
What did you do with your film printer? We are wondering if we should keep our Epson 4880 in mothballs as a back up or sell it.  Who keeps a film printer as a back up. Have you ever needed it?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: For those that moved to CTS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
What did you do with your film printer? We are wondering if we should keep our Epson 4880 in mothballs as a back up or sell it.  Who keeps a film printer as a back up. Have you ever needed it?
yes, definitely keep as backup, but then I have backups for backups. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
Absolutely keep it. Saved our a$$ a couple of times. But it finally passed away so that makes me nervous. Looking at new CTS so when that happens not sure if we will keep current one as back up or sell. And get another film printer as well.

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Yes, keep it. Our CTS has gone down a few times & firing up the 4880 during that time completely saved us. I print some test films every few days & make sure the nozzles don't get clogged up just in case something happens & I don't have to do a bunch of cleanings just to keep the workflow going.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Yes, always keep a backup for anything. Having said that, I've never needed it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline gotshirtz001

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
The key is continuing to run test prints. I took a break from printing (side hustle) and the 4880 sat for too long and the printhead clogged. They are basically only good for parts once that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
I say always have two output devices.  The cost of imaging downtime is high and, in our location, that downtime can be very long for a repair or resolution. 

Build out your workflow for when you have to use it- make sure staff has some protocol for putting glass back on expo unit, aligning films, etc. and that this gear is easy to access.   Ensure the printer is running, print something on it weekly, don't let prepress forget how to use it, set a curve on your film RIP and test print to roughly match your CTS dots so your repeat sim pro work isn't messed with, and so on.  You may never need it but the little bit of work to keep it around will pay off that one time you might.   Maybe load up that printer with epson color inks and you can run off shop signage and silly photos or something just to keep it actively in the mix.