Author Topic: Getting debris in our emulsion  (Read 4777 times)

Offline BRGtshirts

Getting debris in our emulsion
« on: October 02, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
Background: our shop switched to getting 5 gal. containers of emulsion about 6 months ago. We'll pour from the 5 gallon into one or two 1 gallon buckets at a time (daily use is anywhere from 1-2 gallons of emulsion per day). We open the spout and then put a single hole on the opposite side of lid with a phillips screwdriver for air (so it pours easier) and keep the lid on it when not in use. We also cover the air hole with a piece of tape.

We reuse the 1 gallon buckets after each fill. We wash them out and remove all old emulsion. They dry and then are refilled and a lid is put on them.

So... the issue is: We've been seeing bits of debris (sometimes what looks like black specs) in the emulsion in the 1 gallon buckets after they have sat overnight. Whatever this stuff is, is causing pinholes and/or rashes in the screens that we see on press. We can't trace if it's coming from the 5 gallon bucket itself or from the 1 gallon buckets.

We did not have this issue when we bought our emulsion in 1 gallon buckets. Only once we started buying the 5 gallon and transferring. Any ideas?!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Getting debris in our emulsion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »
Background: our shop switched to getting 5 gal. containers of emulsion about 6 months ago. We'll pour from the 5 gallon into one or two 1 gallon buckets at a time (daily use is anywhere from 1-2 gallons of emulsion per day). We open the spout and then put a single hole on the opposite side of lid with a phillips screwdriver for air (so it pours easier) and keep the lid on it when not in use. We also cover the air hole with a piece of tape.

We reuse the 1 gallon buckets after each fill. We wash them out and remove all old emulsion. They dry and then are refilled and a lid is put on them.

So... the issue is: We've been seeing bits of debris (sometimes what looks like black specs) in the emulsion in the 1 gallon buckets after they have sat overnight. Whatever this stuff is, is causing pinholes and/or rashes in the screens that we see on press. We can't trace if it's coming from the 5 gallon bucket itself or from the 1 gallon buckets.

We did not have this issue when we bought our emulsion in 1 gallon buckets. Only once we started buying the 5 gallon and transferring. Any ideas?!

first thought would be shavings from the screwdriver hole. I would try skipping the hole and see what happens.
It would not hurt to take a picture or two of the bits so we can see. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »
Not sure what is causing the problem you are having but I just might have a solution to keep it from happening... Since you are pouring the 5 into single gallon containers why not just purchase 1 gallon containers 5 at a time from your supplier. I did this with my white ink and the help is a lot happier. Sounds like you are buying a lot of emulsion so your supplier should have no problem matching the 5 gallon bucket price with 5 single gallons. If they don't I'll bet someone else will. Good luck...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
I would get a piece of 25 mesh or some window screen and put over the spout or cover your bucket and strain the emulsion through that and see what is left on the screen....I'm sure the emulsion will pour through the mesh.  I've seen shavings before in my emulsion and I think I cause it by stirring it up with a metal spatula, most likely scratching the sides or bottom of the can.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 06:01:01 PM »
I would get a piece of 25 mesh or some window screen and put over the spout or cover your bucket and strain the emulsion through that and see what is left on the screen....I'm sure the emulsion will pour through the mesh.  I've seen shavings before in my emulsion and I think I cause it by stirring it up with a metal spatula, most likely scratching the sides or bottom of the can.

Thanks everyone for the posts. I think I'll probably pursue this (have them match the 5 gal price on 5 single gallons..). Could be a real easy fix.

Thanks,
Will

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
Darryl is on to something.  We use wood paint sticks here.  We also use single gallons and not 5ers.  We found the same thing, it's much easier to use a single gallon than to scoop ink or emulsion out into singles as needed.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
yes, singles are easier, but... if there is room to sell singles at 5 price, there should be room to buy 5's at a discount if buying 5 of them. For somebody using a gallon a day this should not be too much.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
I agree 1 gals are much easier to handle, I stopped buying 5er,s in ink long time ago just to much to handle and to much space it takes up
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
Check out this video regarding how we solve this problem, the air hole is created by simply taking a pair of scissors and creating the hole by plunging them through the lid, very simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4uITEDtGE
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »
Check out this video regarding how we solve this problem, the air hole is created by simply taking a pair of scissors and creating the hole by plunging them through the lid, very simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4uITEDtGE
So for going off topic here but I noticed you use a Vastex semi auto coater in your screen making department. Are you guys happy having made that purchase? I consider getting one for our shop and was hoping to get some feedback of actual users.

Offline GKitson

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
2 different videos on the Vastex Auto coater here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt5q49F42EKjr_3huNX5Czg

We find it gives us a very consistent coating, slower than most people can coast manually but much more consistent, in my opinion a good investment.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 09:23:41 AM »

We find it gives us a very consistent coating, slower than most people can coast manually but much more consistent, in my opinion a good investment.

Greg, I didn't see the videos there...

Offline GKitson

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
scroll right on the videos.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
Wow...I swear I know how to use the interwebs.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »

Placed my order for the semi auto coater last night + the big Vastex screen drying cabinet.
Thanks for the feedback.