Author Topic: How to preview psd, eps and ai files without adobe?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
How to preview psd, eps and ai files without adobe?
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
I just spent the whole morning looking for good piece of software that will let the employees preview the psd, eps and ai files. There is a rather limited number of companies offering something that will work and I am not sure which route to take. Either the company is too small and I do't trust to install their product or not sure how effective it will be. . .

Any suggestions on what the sales ppl and the CSRs can use to prview the art for the orders?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Re: How to preview psd, eps and ai files without adobe?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
You could use an iPad with procreate to look at all of that.

Or even the combination of procreate and Affinity designer.  Both are cheap and will give you all the viewing capabilities you need.

Affinity Designer for desktop is also a great alternative to the adobe products.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
You may end up with 2-3 pieces of software.  You could be headed for trouble with software that allows editing.  It my edit the file upon opening and when the file is resaved it will be incorrect.  I would see if you could find a previewer program for each, rather than 1 program that works for all(also, they are raster and vector, so that might be a prob).

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »
Why not have the art department Jpeg/png the files and send to a network/viewing computer inside the production area with a large monitor, is there any need for production to see files before they go to the art department?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
agreed, it should be preview only!
Yes, art dpt can create jpgs, but that removes the sales ppl from being able to quote quickly. Additionally, we have Adobe licenses, but would prefer not to use them for sale ppl and the production manager. They just need to be able to see what's going on in case the artwork in the production material is not enough.
Windows 10 will give a limited preview in the preview pane of the exploroer, but it is not big enough to count the colors for quoting. Adobe Reader will view .ai files, so that's good. IrfanView will preview all, but requires a ghostscript installation and I am trying really hard to keep the computer as lean as possible. It is looking like we might have to go that route. Se we are installing multiple pieces of software one way or another. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
You could use an iPad with procreate to look at all of that.

Or even the combination of procreate and Affinity designer.  Both are cheap and will give you all the viewing capabilities you need.

Affinity Designer for desktop is also a great alternative to the adobe products.

nah, that's too complicated. I don't mind paying for a good solution, just trying to make everybody's life easier and more streamlined. Few years back when every penny counted, something like it would work. We are past that stage and have a little bit of money we can spend on making the life easier and more efficient.

pierre

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »
Gmail will preview files you mention....

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
Holy Crap, I didn't know that, lol

I just did a test using my Gmail account and attached the following files, all of which "viewed" correctly when opening the email and checking each of the attachments.  No download was needed:

.eps
.png
.jpg
.pdf
.psd
.ai

The only one that would not work was a .CDR file.

Good to know, Thanks
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
I had mystic thumbs on my old computer. I'm thinking you are looking for something like that so you can view a thumbnail of the file on your desktop without opening, like how a jpg would?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »
I thought he was trying to have Sales people preview art (misc file types) sent in from potential customers to check the quality of their submissions, not generate art (or file) to go out.  But maybe I'm wrong, lol.

In reading on Mystic Thumbs ($29.95), it looks like it can open any (?) file type and create a thumbnail size file for distribution.  Do I have that right?  If so, then I guess that would work too for viewing, but I was sure impressed that Gmail could display all the file types, except 1, that I threw at it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:16:06 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »
I see a full view of all files sent to our drop box, ps, eps, illustrator.
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
I thought he was trying to have Sales people preview art (misc file types) sent in from potential customers to check the quality of their submissions, not generate art (or file) to go out.  But maybe I'm wrong, lol.

In reading on Mystic Thumbs ($29.95), it looks like it can open any (?) file type and create a thumbnail size file for distribution.  Do I have that right?  If so, then I guess that would work too for viewing, but I was sure impressed that Gmail could display all the file types, except 1, that I threw at it.

This might be the ticket! Anybody here using it?
It will preview thumbs and give a quick view option. Saving to download folder and then opening will be required, but it's one piece of software and easy to preview (and find later).
Anybody know something that would work straight out of Outlook?

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »
I've used a program call File Opener and it opens many type of files, they did have a free download at one time check them out.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
I use this online tool from 3M for EPS -
https://promote.3m.com/art_viewer/

It's not perfect but it's free and quick!

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
Yeah similarly to the Gmail option, Google drive will preview artboards in illustrator and psd documents.

Ideally you want Adobe Bridge which will also show previews of all Adobe files, but I'm not sure you can use just that program without all the rest of the CC

If that Mystic program works out let us know, my sales guys would love that option.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk