Author Topic: Separation Help.  (Read 3137 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Separation Help.
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
I have to separate a few print tiles based on the Northern Lights. I always have a terrible time with these blendy ones. Can one of you Jedis tell me how to approach this and keep all the soft gradients and saturated color in it?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Separation Help.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
Not a jedi here, but I did a quick sep in photoshop and that is a good route to go...if you got a autosep program if your not verse at hand sepping and tweeting it.   The art looks harder than it really is, simprocess might produce the more vibrant colors for you, but your right the jedi's on here can point you down the road like a rocket, some really good sep guys here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:38:16 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
I might try an auto sep as Darryl suggests, but as an old-time separator from before those programs were around (fantastic time savers) I would remove the black first so I could have pure color to pull, Photoshop. Then back to the original, make a duplicate to work on, go to Image/Adjustments/Black and White, you can change the red and yellow/green to white, leaving you with a black and white image (the file has to be RGB) which you can invert for the stars, or use as is if you're printing on white shirts. The black removal is a bit tedious, but I have video on my desktop that I saved a couple of years ago from another poster, quite brilliant I thought, which was his opinion too, but we'll leave that alone. Let me know if you'd like to see that, and I can send it to you. It's too big to put here.

Steve

Hmmm, hey Andy, is it OK for me to share a video that was formerly available at multiple sites before the owner took it down? I wouldn't want to infringe on his work...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:41:15 AM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
Tiles?  Screenprinting?

Photoshop?

Certainly not a Jedi, but trying to understand the job requirements. 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:52:04 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
This is getting sublimated. Having a sep allows us to use spot colors. I think I might have watched the video you’re referencing, the green beer bottle? I had my best result with that technique.

I normally use a photoshop script called YRGBK that has similar function to separation studio. Those programs seem to have trouble with art like this. I’ve asked the printer to give us a digital print using just process inks. We will see if the designers can live with it.

I’m out of the country for a few days so I won’t be able to work on it again for a minute. Thanks for your help. I’ll try to include a photo of the solution.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
That's the one, the green beer bottle...

Steve

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
When I see 'sublimated', I assume it's going on a substrate other than fabric.  Yes, No?

I'm also assuming he's describing a CYMK (or CMYK) planned process.   Yes, No?

Either way, Ultraseps output this on a CMYK sep.  No white is produced so would be on a white substrate or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:50:22 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Jay Kay

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
To remove the black from the image

Duplicate the layer on top of the original
Invert the duplicate layer
Image>adjustments>black and white>maximum black
Set the layer to linear dodge (add)
ctrl+alt+shift+e will then stamp all visible into its own layer
You will now have just a layer with all the colors and no black and you can use this for separating colors.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
Very nice, Jay!

Steve

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
Yes, Jay, thanks! For the procedure... but I did not know about "stamp visible." I've been doing the same thing in several more steps. This is much better.
Nice guys laugh last.