Author Topic: Printing United - feedback  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Printing United - feedback
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:43:37 AM »
I'd like comments from somebody who was at Printing United, was it successful?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Printing United - feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
I'll try to post a more detailed review of everything later, but I thought it was really cool. Got to see bunch of neat Tech and meet some people.

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
Excellent show.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Full vendor floor.  Lots of new stuff.

My big takeaway was humidity control for waterbased shops.   We’ve all seen the foggers but I was intrigued to learn more about whole building humidity control.  These systems have been in the paper and digital world for a long time.  These vendors were showing in the paper section of the show.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
Excellent show.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Full vendor floor.  Lots of new stuff.

My big takeaway was humidity control for waterbased shops.   We’ve all seen the foggers but I was intrigued to learn more about whole building humidity control.  These systems have been in the paper and digital world for a long time.  These vendors were showing in the paper section of the show.

freaking loved this too. already got several quotes for our shop.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »
been swamped and under the weather a bit.  highlights for us:
-ROQ DTG automatic (really all the hybrid dtg stuff was cool)
-the whole m&r booth (and virus inks)
-mimaki booth was super cool (full color 3D printer, 3D scanner, mask maker, etc)
-the durst sign printers
-sooo many cnc machines
-soo many large format flatbed printers
-new epson dye sub printers
-transfer powder conveyor applicator
-"self weeding vinyl" using laser toner (testing this by the end of the week)
-oki white toner stuff (skeptical, but fits a niche for us)
-got to see a ton of reps and meet people ive only talked to through phone or email.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
been swamped and under the weather a bit.  highlights for us:
-ROQ DTG automatic (really all the hybrid dtg stuff was cool)
-the whole m&r booth (and virus inks)
-mimaki booth was super cool (full color 3D printer, 3D scanner, mask maker, etc)
-the durst sign printers
-sooo many cnc machines
-soo many large format flatbed printers
-new epson dye sub printers
-transfer powder conveyor applicator
-"self weeding vinyl" using laser toner (testing this by the end of the week)
-oki white toner stuff (skeptical, but fits a niche for us)
-got to see a ton of reps and meet people ive only talked to through phone or email.

the Roq stuff is always cool, but man they gotta get those color profiles fixed.

which epson dye sub printer were you looking at?

and the transfer powder machine, at the one booth i saw was super cool. i inquired about it last year, and it was pretty pricey. I didn't ask the price this time...
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 05:31:01 PM »
the price on the transfer powder machine was around $15k.  Hard to justify, but cool nonetheless...

None of the results I saw from any DTG were perfect (thats the nature of off-site DTG), but the M&R looked significantly better than the other hybrids, and Kornit still dominated the standalone machines.  Crazy watching them print the same design on a hoodie, then a cotton shirt, then a spandex shirt, etc.  The $60k roll up DTG hybrids from MHM and Lawson (and there may have been a third with the exact same machine) were all underwhelming.  So much banding and blur, BUT still a step in the right direction when it comes to price and process.  The MHM guy was saying they max at around 120 prints an hour vs the 400 from the M&R and the 300ish from the ROQ.  biggest benefit of the ROQ was barcode scanning control of on press pretreat and print heads, so you aren't locked into a screenprinted base and can run through a whole days queue of varied SKUs quickly, but they really are competing more with something like a Kornit rather than the hybrids.  The fact that it flashes/presses/cures on press is HUGE for throughput.

The epson dye subs were their new ones.  I think the show was their introduction.  I dont recall the model numbers...