Author Topic: Help splitting channels.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Help splitting channels.
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
Hi everyone. We are trying to make an allover print from the image below.

Right now, it's sepped to two colors and we've gotten back a great version printed on a table in China. Production is done with rollers and every strike off has looked terrible. Printer tells me that this kind of thing is done with 6 colors for other customers.

How would I go about splitting the two channels in my existing separation to give them 3 screens for each blue? I'd like to achieve smooth blends between each shade. I am trying to color range select a dark, middle and light grey from the existing channel. That's not resulting in  very smooth blends though. Little help?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:09:27 PM by srabadan »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Help splitting channels.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
Splitting channels is something you do after it has been separated.  "Splitting"is to break up the separated file) into individual files.   What you want, is the separation process.

Select all, Copy, Past into an new channel, make 3 more copies or duplications of that.  Then adjust each one so that you have more of a tone like (mostly what would print white). Then another that would be for what would mostly print Medium tone. Then another for the darkest tone.   Also knock each of those out of the others.

Then, once completed, add extra space at the top and bottom, and add in a center line...and registration marks.  Be sure those are copied and pasted into each channel in the exact same location on each.
Then, see the attachment.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »
Thanks Dan,

We do have a separation done with two colors. It printed just about perfect on a table. Our production factory is having a problem matching the results, telling us they cannot complete their production with the artwork as is. They've sent me a similar example from another customer, done with 6 colors.

Going to try and use my existing file with two channels, to give them something with 6 colors and less tonal range in each channel. Apologies if I used the word wrong.

We'll see how that goes.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
If I had more time this week, I’d do it for you, but I don’t think you must have 6 colors for this.  Three maybe. 6 is overkill. Maybe post up pictures of your print and theirs so we can see what the expectations are and current results.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
I was able to get a nicer result with a three color sep. 6 is definitely overkill.  Our factory in Vietnam tells me they've got a submit that looks good on the way now. I'll try to post a picture when it gets here.

Thanks for the help everybody!