Author Topic: Need a thermostat for old heat press  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Need a thermostat for old heat press
« on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
I'm having a little trouble finding a replacement thermostat for our old Insta 221; it's a B10 type, (analog, not digital) goes up to 465°, 120v. The platen resistance is around 12 ohms (which I haven't checked yet, I'm just taking it for granted, is was correct the last time I replaced this thermostat about 8 years ago). I need someone with a little more knowledge than I to help me pick out a replacement. The model is B10 (but that really seems to be a type, not an official model #) and the other numbers stamped on it do not bring up any info. Now, Insta has them for $190.00, but I know they are considerably less out there. Anyone?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Need a thermostat for old heat press
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:27:39 AM »
Was in same boat and couldn't find a direct replacement that would fit so swapped in a PID controller/thermocouple  and SSR.
Super simple and less than $20 for a more accurate control/readout.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:40:34 AM »
Cool, but PID Controllers is bringing up until for hundreds of dollars, could you give me a little more on that?

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
This kit should work assuming panel draws less than 40 amps.

Might seem complicated but it's really very simple, let me know if you need a diagram I'll draw something up.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
it's 1750 watts, 120v, and according to somebody smarter than me, watts divided by volts = amps, so 14.58...
I'm guessing I can cut the hole for mounting it, but I'm not sure about the thermocouple, here's a pic of the thermostat. The left side of the pic is the top of the unit, the thermostat is mounted onto the front panel.

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »
Thermocouples come in a million different mounting styles, the simplest being literally bare nichrome wire soldered together at the end.

Assuming there is a port for the copper style you have now, just find one that you can fit in. Not a critical piece, the temps/thermal mass are
typically stable enough to not need super responsive measurements.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
So as I dig a little more, I'm looking for a simple single loop, that will take a Type K thermocouple, with an input range that includes 120v (100 to 240 VAC 50 / 60 Hz) and can handle the 14.58 amps. I'm looking at one right now that shows all of that, but I don't know how to figure if it can handle the current or not (I don't completely understand the spec sheet) Add a thermocouple that's similar to what's in there now, and an SSR, and start replacing?

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 04:23:24 PM »
So as I dig a little more, I'm looking for a simple single loop, that will take a Type K thermocouple, with an input range that includes 120v (100 to 240 VAC 50 / 60 Hz) and can handle the 14.58 amps. I'm looking at one right now that shows all of that, but I don't know how to figure if it can handle the current or not (I don't completely understand the spec sheet) Add a thermocouple that's similar to what's in there now, and an SSR, and start replacing?

Steve

Very close.

The SSR does your switching so that will be the current handling device. 20 amps should be common value.
120 volt input on the PID just makes powering it easier.

If you have a link I can verify.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 04:32:26 PM »
Just curious, have u checked with them directly?

P: 800-426-3609
E: service@instagraph.com

Never mind, I see they had it for high dollars..........good luck
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »

Steve

Very close.

The SSR does your switching so that will be the current handling device. 20 amps should be common value.
120 volt input on the PID just makes powering it easier.

If you have a link I can verify.

This is one, most of the specs seemed simple enough, I just can't figure if it delivers enough current to the platen...

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/process_control_-a-_measurement/temperature_-z-_process_controllers/solo_basic_temperature_controllers/slb4848-v2?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlOG_4qG-eJ0Qx2KAoNTnHaJiPhT4X7Z2bOBbmShqxFLYJ0BLOLcFXMaAidlEALw_wcB

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »
Specs on that are fine, just add 20 amp SSR and K type thermocouple.

Or find one of those kits with appropriate style thermocouple.

FWIW I'm putting Automationdirect's kids through college.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »
At this point, my questions are 1. can I snip the thermocouple lead going into our current analog thermostat and use it since it's already instatlled? And 2. is which Control Setup to use, though I'm pretty sure it's the PID Control Setup. I'm having a little trouble understanding those directions, but I keep getting interrupted. I could always tell the vendor what I'm working on and I'll bet they could help me, I have found a lot of those folks to be pretty helpful.

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
At this point, my questions are 1. can I snip the thermocouple lead going into our current analog thermostat and use it since it's already instatlled? And 2. is which Control Setup to use, though I'm pretty sure it's the PID Control Setup. I'm having a little trouble understanding those directions, but I keep getting interrupted. I could always tell the vendor what I'm working on and I'll bet they could help me, I have found a lot of those folks to be pretty helpful.

Steve

1. No, completely different style. Copper style literally transfers heat to a coil in the thermostat that physically opens and closes contacts.
Which is why they fail relatively quickly.

2. They should be able to help. I'll draw up a diagram when I get a chance. Dealing with NFC championship blanks today...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
Being 20 miles outside of Boston, I can feel your pain, as we printed for all of the Pats runs since 2004, Celtics in 2008, and the Bruins in 2011. We got to a point where we could no longer put a crew together, and we were forced to move 2 years ago, so no more hot market for us.
Thanks for the help on this, you've saved me a couple hours of diving for info online. I did take the press apart back in 2011 when I replaced the thermostat then, and had to run the thermocouple then, so I'm guessing there a channel of something for a new one to lay in.
So why not get a new one? Hoping to retire in 3 years at the worst, and don't want to spend any more money than I have to. Unless a super bargain shows up on Craigslist.

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:01 PM »
This will be our 4th event. I really only say yes as it's a break in our regularly scheduled programming.
The majority of profit goes right to the employees, so they like it at least.

I personally hate seeing easily repaired stuff end up in a waste stream. It's kind of gnarly to think of the literal
mountains of keyboards or smartphones that must be out there.

Attached is a very crude schematic, but hopefully gets idea across. PID terminal numbers should be correct,
but double check obviously. SSR has an LED to let you know when it's closed.

Get the kit I linked above plus one of these thermocouples.

Hook it up and let it rip. If the reading goes down as heat goes up thermocouple wires are reversed. Those are the only connections where polarity matters.
Shouldn't require any programming save setting the temp swing. (recommend 5 degrees to avoid rapid switching.)