Author Topic: Is it just me or are the upgrades in Corel X3 a pain in the neck?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline theSignShop

• Verified/Junior
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a lot of the so-called upgrades in X3 slow me down to the point that I actually will save my work as Corel7 and then finish it there. My two main gripes are the changes made to the freehand function. When you are trying to draw something freehand, if you get too close to an existing oblect, you end up snapping onto that object's detail. The other thing is the select tool. When you want to move objects, you first click on them to select them, then you click to grab the object to move it. Nine  out of ten times, when you do this, X3 considers your actions a "double-click" and drops you out of the "pick" mode and into the "shape" mode. Am I doing something wrong or do others find this a pain in the neck?
If you cannot explain something simply enough, you do not know your subject matter well enough.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Chadwick

Re: Is it just me or are the upgrades in Corel X3 a pain in the neck?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
 :D
I have X4, but I always work in 10.
I think v9 was my favorite.
* you may have node tracking enabled.

It's not just you.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
I also am a little slow to completely change over, even when the nrew version is installed, but I can't remember the last time I fired up the v12 instead of X4.

It's usually just a matter of using it, which will result in getting used to it and comfortable.
One of the problems with waiting so long in between versions, Ron, are gradual changes are now cumulative, numerous, and obviously a little intimidating, but until you two, I have not heard one person not rave about X3! (and nary a bad word about X4 Chad)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »
X4 is awesome, X5 is awful.

you have snap to nodes turned on.  I turned off all of that stuff in the options section.  It made it hard to work.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
Like MK mentioned it sounds like you have Snap To objects selected. The are turned on and off via hot keys and it is possible  you hit the right key stroke not knowing it. Mine are turned off as default yet I do use them and accidentally turn them on and off all the time.

Don't think it is the updates. X5 isnt bad, just isnt that big of a change from X4. Definitely handles files a lot better yet I do use X4 more as many of my macros are not updated to X5 yet.

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline theSignShop

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »
Wow! What a difference!
That takes care of about 90% of my problems.
Thanks.

Now, one more and I'll shut up.
When I'm in the freehand mode, the object that I'm creating has the "select" handles on it, they often get in the way.

Is there a way to turn that off? 
If you cannot explain something simply enough, you do not know your subject matter well enough.
-Albert Einstein

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
Just use your scroll wheel to zoom in a little and get past the control handles.

Also you can slow down your double click speed in your mouse properties that should help with your other issue.

"No man is an island"

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
Funny thing.
As Frog mentioned, usually the only changes ( above the hood ) are the way the default settings are...set.
Most upgrades occur under the hood.

Dig around a bit more, you can customize the heck out of Draw.

Cheers.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »
I have a second workplace I use when doing tutorials because if I used my normal setup people start freaking out because my DRAW doesn't look anything like theirs.  I have it customized so much that is one reason I haven't switched totally to X5.

The amount of customization you can do in DRAW is endless coupled with macros it is amazing. 

I am not sure about removing the selection handles. You can dig around like Chadwick mentioned yet I don't think that is possible. I will look myself. until then go to
Tools / Customizations / Commands.   Search all and scroll through the list. You might even find some things you never knew was included with the software. 

I believe Jeff Harrison has a video tut on customizing DRAW. He is the owner of www.macromonster.com  you might email asking him about it. Great guy from way up there with Chadwick.

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ®