Author Topic: Graphics programs  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Graphics programs
« on: January 31, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »
What graphics do most people use?
I have worked for years on Corel but need to improve my Photoshop skills.
Question is do I also need to learn Illustrator?
Can I manage with Photoshop and Corel?
Corel 19 seems to have a lot of improvements.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Graphics programs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
I've been using both Photoshop and Illustrator since the early 90's, and they take care of pretty much everything I need to do as far as processing images goes, and creating separations. Also for cleaning up stuff that we can't get better files for. Corel of course, has been around for a very long time too, but as a Mac user, I haven't used it, not to mention that I haven't received a Corel Draw file in years. That's not a dig against Draw at all, as I've seen some great work with it, and a lot of the folks here use it and seem quite pleased...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
I've only used photoshop. Do not know a damn thing about any other program. I'd like to understand Illustrator, which people say is easier? I don't know why I have issues with it. I learned photoshop in high school and since then it's been my go to.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
yes I use corel and photoshop all the time and have been for years.  hate AI which is why I use corel.   when bringing files from corel to photoshop use either eps or pdf

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
We do %90 of our work in Illy. Even PS files output in Illy.
The PS print dialog never seemed like it was fully hatched.

I'm no Adobe champion by any stretch but it is the print industry standard,
and it does have it's own scripting language (basically a hacked off javascript) that
allows you to automate repetitive tasks, like populating client/job/garment info
on mockups and exporting screen data etc.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
I've always used CorelDRAW for vector, and often Photoshop for raster (simply because years ago, someone showed me a few commonly used functions) Corel masters however seem to be able to do everything that PS does in Photopaint.
I'll tell you though that problem pdf's certainly appreciate keeping their problems in the Adobe family, and quite often I rely on a buddy's shop to use the "place" function in Illy to give me back a usable file. I just found out though that I lost the employee who usually helped me out quite promptly, and hope that the boss can still squeeze these in! The help is much appreciated, and I have become dependent.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »
We'll see what the next guy says! I'm only in this seat to re-learn my own business. I had, admittedly, more knowledge
of fishing than of working for the past few years.

Adobe is more than happy to require you to upgrade when opening newer files. There's always a workaround though.
I don't do SaaS.