Author Topic: Same seps on light and dark?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
Same seps on light and dark?
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:17:04 AM »
A question for the pros in regards to simulated process... do you use the same separaton for both white and black shirts and just drop the base screen on the white?

I always seem to struggle to make it worth for both and was curious if i'm doing something wrong.

Offline 1964GN

Re: Same seps on light and dark?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »
Same seps for all. Run everything exactly the same. Don't turn off the underbase.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
  Have to agree with that. White shirts without the base WILL look different.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
Ditto; there are slight differences from shirt color to shirt color, but it's pretty consistent that way...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
Ok good to know thanks. What's the best way to set these up when separating in photoshop so they work on all colour garments?

If i take an existing separation that was set up for dark shirts and change the background tshirt color in the channels from black to white it always make the seps look wrong, and like there's not enough black information. I guess the separation is relying on the base colour of shirt being black/dark.

Any tips for avoiding this? I'm guessing i just need more colors in the seapration?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
I jack up the underbase so the shirt color is less of a factor. It's still is a factor, but less

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
Same here I sep for dark and go from there to light colors ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
We would probably warn the customer that there will be some differences.  Typically we would need to make some adjustments on press, like increasing pressure on some of the top colors that no longer have a base under it, just so they get onto the garment clean. 

We would try to really plan it out in the seps if we knew that was happening.  It would also depend on the artwork. If you are using Black shirts and if you are using a Black screen or not using a Black screen would all need to be considered.  Or how your white base interacts with the shirt color, cranking up the seps on the white base would help like 1964GN said helps too.  Or also if your top colors are blending with a Black shirt at all in spots would have to be considered.