Author Topic: Stocking Screens and Permanent Hardener  (Read 5270 times)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Stocking Screens and Permanent Hardener
« on: February 06, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »
We have a number of jobs that seem like we print almost weekly. Some of them high color count, and during tours,
constantly rotating.

We've never stocked screens because in my early days as a press op re-using "old" screens always grossed me out. But now I'm seeing
the amount of effort going into making new ones for every run and it seems a bit much.

I'm considering one of two options:

1. Store screens exactly as they come off press, IE leave taped but pull majority of ink. Our reg system is good enough
that if we paid extra attention (or even stored readouts and used same heads) we could just reload and go. Most labor
saving/economical option but also least cleanly.

2. Pull ink/tape and wipe down with press wash. This is probably what we'll end up doing, seems like a good tradeoff between the above
and re-making entirely new.

One concern I have is emulsion breakdown. We use bulletproof SP-1400 and expose it on 8k MH so the dudes are tough, but constantly
printing/cleaning/printing/cleaning is going to wear anyone down. Would permanent hardener help in this situation? I've never used it.
We use roller frames exclusively so re-meshing when she's done for isn't that big of an issue.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Stocking Screens and Permanent Hardener
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »
I have screens I re use.    I don't like storing screens with plastisol on them, prefer washing off color and retaping.
Never used hardener, if I have very big runs I sometimes post expose in the sun and use filler to stop pinholes.
I use PHU but your emulsion and lamp should be excellent.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
I have screens I re use.    I don't like storing screens with plastisol on them, prefer washing off color and retaping.
Never used hardener, if I have very big runs I sometimes post expose in the sun and use filler to stop pinholes.
I use PHU but your emulsion and lamp should be excellent.

I appreciate the input.

Are you washing ink fully in the booth with water etc, or just a rag wipedown with press wash?

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
Use Murakami A&B Hardener for permanent screens on SP1400.  Mix equal amounts and use within 24hrs.  Apply to both sides like you are waxing a car and use a hot box or sun to heat the screen.  Heat improves the hardener's effect.  An 8k lamp?  yeah that will definitely give you complete exposure and eliminate a lot of headaches.  We had to library many of our jobs and found cleaning the ink off a big plus.  Workers liked handling them over ones with ink that eventually migrates everywhere and can pick up a lot of dust during storage.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Use Murakami A&B Hardener for permanent screens on SP1400.  Mix equal amounts and use within 24hrs.  Apply to both sides like you are waxing a car and use a hot box or sun to heat the screen.  Heat improves the hardener's effect.  An 8k lamp?  yeah that will definitely give you complete exposure and eliminate a lot of headaches.  We had to library many of our jobs and found cleaning the ink off a big plus.  Workers liked handling them over ones with ink that eventually migrates everywhere and can pick up a lot of dust during storage.

Al

Excellent, thanks. I'll get some hardener on order and give this a whirl. At least the screen gal will be happy(er).

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
At Andy's, we kept hundreds (if not thousands) of screens for the pre-print line, all cleaned, (many by yours truly), but not with a dip tank.
I can not imagine the mess if they were still inky.
As a side note, these screens were cleaned using Xylene which I believe also had the off-label effect of hardening screens, especially screens which were a little underexposed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:05:57 PM »
At Andy's, we kept hundreds (if not thousands) of screens for the pre-print line, all cleaned, (many by yours truly), but not with a dip tank.
I can not imagine the mess if they were still inky.
As a side note, these screens were cleaned using Xylene which I believe also had the off-label effect of hardening screens, especially screens which were a little underexposed.

Ron was just regaling me on the joys of xylene use the other day. That's one old-school aspect of this industry that I'm glad to have missed.
At the very least it seems like you would want a solvent with a bit more "open" time for what we do.

Unless I'm mistaken, hardeners are typically acids, though I'm not sure about the permanent stuff as we've never used it.
I do recall vinyl flatstock screens being very difficult to reclaim though, having been cleaned with the "safe" acetone alternative.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
Customers that I know are going to reorder pretty regular I don't remove any tape I just clean all the ink out the screens and store than, but after so much use I will reclaim them and refresh them.  Just seem like to much to reburn if they are going to reorder in a few weeks.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
That's just it right, you never know what is going to be re-ordered. Tour stuff we're pretty sure on, but back dates
change, and sometimes what you think will sell a million sells five.

About like washing your car and rain I suppose.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
I get your point and been there also, big seller the first time second time alright third time lousy, some customer I just about know they will re-order so I tell them I will keep the screens for a few weeks and after that they get washed out and a re-setup fee is charged.  Cleaning the ink out the screens while there on press and a little more cleaning after we remove them from the press is what we do, saves on tape and emulsion at least that is my thinking.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »
We remove tape and wash the ink off in the sink.
With a 8 k lamp and good emulsion you shouldn’t need a hardener
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
small tidbit to always remember:

If your mesh is not work hardened or close to it, over time it can/will relax and loose more tension.  This can make really tight registration difficult as the image can start to distort from the relaxation of the mesh.  This is most noticeable on taller designs or with fine dot on dot/fine line type work.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 05:11:38 PM »
small tidbit to always remember:

If your mesh is not work hardened or close to it, over time it can/will relax and loose more tension.  This can make really tight registration difficult as the image can start to distort from the relaxation of the mesh.  This is most noticeable on taller designs or with fine dot on dot/fine line type work.

Good point, not something I had even thought of. That would suck if it relaxed and the emulsion had been permanently hardened.
The type of jobs I'm considering this for are indeed both fine line and oversize...

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »
As mentioned above the two part hardener works very well for us with regards to certain clients. We usually get about 6 to 8 production runs out of them. Also mentioned above yes screen tension can fall and that's it. Pop it and make a new screen. The emulsion ain't coming off.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
We have a couple of customers that constantly reorder, so we do keep those most popular jobs on hand. A number of years ago we used an autotype hardener, I recall is was pinkish in color, and you applied with a paint brush. The open mesh of the image would evaporate, and the emulsion was pretty permanent. We tried reclaiming one, and it simply wasn't worth the time to get it done. So, yes, they work, at least that one did.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't