Author Topic: HSA inks and Separations  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
HSA inks and Separations
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
HSA inks and Separations

Are these inks just more opaque than regular water base? Do you treat them a little differently in the Separations than regular water base? For example do you let the top colors run over the under base to the shirt color like you might with plastisol inks
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline BP

Re: HSA inks and Separations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
Dan, the HSA's are a high solid acrylic that are more opaque they plan water based ink. And yes we do the seps just like plastisol.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »
they tend to have less gain than plastisol, so you do need to change your seps to accomodate that.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
Thanks guys!   Good to know. I just did a job and found out they were using HSA. Didn't know exactly how to handle that one (haven't used them in our shop) but I think I'll make it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »
Color blending on press can be different compared to plastisol.  Especially with color reduction.

These inks tend to "flash" while printing due to the heat from the platens evaporating the moisture content of the ink layer.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
Hmmm.   I do a ton of blending, so that could affect the outcome.  Good to know.