Author Topic: Customer Says They Aren't Paying!  (Read 4558 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Customer Says They Aren't Paying!
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
I walk in this morning to an upset sales girl who had a customer tell her they weren't paying their $5500  invoice.  They have placed 4 orders with us, polo shirts with a left chest logo and the latest order was for almost 500 shirts.  They said they aren't paying unless we can prove to them that we delivered the shirts.  We have delivery receipts for most things we've delivered the last few years but we've looked and can't find the one for this delivery.  In shopworks our delivery guy entered that he delivered the order on 11/4 and we have an email from the sales person to the customer saying we delivered the shirts and he replied "thank you very much, we appreciate you guys".  But no real signature from someone who works there.  We used to get signatures on the delivery receipts for everything but the last few months our delivery guy has been out a lot because he's got prostate cancer so we've all been doing deliveries.  The delivery receipt protocol has been overlooked due to the different people delivering and quite frankly, my delivery guy is not himself because he has freaking prostate cancer so I wouldn't doubt it if he just didn't get a signature.  He does remember delivering the order on 11/4, he remembers exactly who he talked to and where he put the boxes.  I'd be willing to bet that we aren't the only ones who don't have a signature on every order we ship or deliver that verifies the customer signed for the product.  I think I'm going to go put on a polo shirt, shave my damn face a little bit and drive over there and talk to them in person.  The lady on the phone was just an ass to our sales girl and she said she was the accountant so I'm going to talk to our contact there and get this straightened out.  When I told my wife and mother in law I was just going to go there they both didn't like the idea and I guess they thought I was going to kick the door down and cause problems but I'm not an idiot and I don't handle things that way in these types of situations.  I do think it's best to do this stuff in person and tried to explain that to them and that they need not worry about anything bad happening while I'm there.  I'm going to load up some stuff to deliver to the Samsung plant and go by this business on my way back to the shop, wish me luck boys.  Hopefully I'll have a check in my hand in an hour.  I'll post my results when I get back.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Customer Says They Aren't Paying!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
what rats.  That is crappy.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
You guys all give me more reasons every day to only do work ive been paid for.

LOL
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
I'm googling the police scanner for Round Rock.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Two options:

1. Full payment + broken fingers
2. Full payment + 10%

A lot of businesses not only won't use you if you require payment up front, but expect 30 day terms to be paid.  Universities and larger companies work that way.  If you require them to pay up front, it's easier for them to go down the street to a printer that will print it because they know they need their order in less than two weeks and they also know their payment process takes at least two weeks lol.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
Two options:

1. Full payment + broken fingers
2. Full payment + 10%

A lot of businesses not only won't use you if you require payment up front, but expect 30 day terms to be paid.  Universities and larger companies work that way.  If you require them to pay up front, it's easier for them to go down the street to a printer that will print it because they know they need their order in less than two weeks and they also know their payment process takes at least two weeks lol.

I've found if you hold your ground suddenly a company credit card is "found".  I am not a bank, I don't loan money, most understand that.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
I'd start by calling the person who ordered them and ask if he or she got the shirts. If they confirm receipt, which they most likely will, tell them the accountant needs proof of delivery to pay the invoice and ask them to confirm to her that the shirts had been received. If they need a signed delivery receipt, ask if you can bring a receipt over and get a signature.

Big companies like that don't want to rip you off, they just have strict policies and employees that are afraid to do anything that's not "by the book". Unless the shirts have been misplaced (which would be nearly impossible due to the size of the order), you'll get the payment.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
That's not a fun situation...  I'd offer to help them look for the shirts--rattle their cage a little bit.

Years and years back I printed an order for a reliable customer who called the day after pickup to explain that she had been shorted one of every size.  (I bet more than a couple of you know where this is headed)  The obvious was suggested, that an employee took a sizing run out for customers, and we were assured that this lady had an iron grip over the whole store, and never would have missed anything.  We got the embarrassed call the next morning.  :)
Luckily haven't been entirely stiffed on any misunderstandings...

Best of luck with the situation, Alan.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

They are welcome to take their 30 days to infinite terms down the street.  In fact, I will give them a map to the nearest 30 days to infinite terms printer.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »
I'd start by calling the person who ordered them and ask if he or she got the shirts. If they confirm receipt, which they most likely will, tell them the accountant needs proof of delivery to pay the invoice and ask them to confirm to her that the shirts had been received. If they need a signed delivery receipt, ask if you can bring a receipt over and get a signature.

Big companies like that don't want to rip you off, they just have strict policies and employees that are afraid to do anything that's not "by the book". Unless the shirts have been misplaced (which would be nearly impossible due to the size of the order), you'll get the payment.

Agreed, but there are exceptions. I worked in an offset print shop whose owners were real sh!ta$$es. They were out of town when the camera went down. The lead pressman called the local part supplier who they ALWAYS used. The delivery guy was headed out the door, so they just chucked the part in his van without the paperwork to speed things up and get us out of a jam. The part showed up, the pressman installed it, and that was that until the owners questioned the invoice with no delivery signature. The pressman told them he'd taken delivery and that it was legit. The owners stiffed the supplier, knowing full well that they'd gone out of their way to help the shop, but neglected a formality to expedite things. The owners were pr!ck$ and I couldn't wait to leave the place.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »
They are welcome to take their 30 days to infinite terms down the street.  In fact, I will give them a map to the nearest 30 days to infinite terms printer.

I agree, you have to pick your battles.  I stuck to my guns with one very large national corporation to not print before receiving payment in full, mainly because it was an entirely email based order.  It took over a month to receive payment, it was honestly more of a hassle for me to have them email and repeatedly ask if I'd shipped yet and me reply stating, "no, still waiting on payment".  Big corporations will pay in the end.  Universities also pay, but every department within a university has their own payment process and NEVER have corporate cards because, well, it's a university!  I am now putting on my invoices to certain habitual late clients a late fee notice over 30 days.  Late payment is better than no payment!  It's not the big companies you have to watch, it's your friends!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

It's not the big companies you have to watch, it's your friends!

Yup. I got stiffed for around $200 this time last year. This was for someone I'd worked with for over 13 years or so. She promised to pay twice. The last (third) invoice I sent she acknowledged, but it was the day after she got fired for embezzlement, so I've written that off. She's out of money and you can't get blood from a turnip. Fortunately, they were a handful of white tees so my out-of-pocket wasn't that bad.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
I really never think that people are out to screw me (eternal optimist), my example to customers is "what if the purchasing agent or orderer get hit by a bus or the secretary who set all this up get's fired or the departments budget get's suddenly slashed?". Typically, nobody is second in charge to see it through or "Davis from marketing was in idiot anyway" and all of his projects have been abandoned.
Or worst of all, they keep shopping around after the order has been placed, "My brother in-law found a better deal. Sorry, I hope you understand.".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:10:49 PM by Fresh Baked Printing »
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
My unwritten policy is for new customers, out of town customers, and anybody who has been slow to pay in the past, 100% upfront. For schools and larger established businesses I don't mind delivering on a purchase order with the agreement that the payment will be made within a few days. For repeat customers I'll sometimes ask for 50% upfront with the explanation that I use the money to purchase the blank shirts.

I've only been screwed once so far, with a bounced check combined with the customer conveniently moving with no forwarding address. I have to believe this was premediated, but the strange thing is I had printed twice for her in the past with no problem.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
with that...we quit taking checks...everyone has a debit or credit card....plus the added time it takes the bookkeeper to enter it all in it is a wash with the processing fees but I have always have my money...

sam