Author Topic: Vintage 1996 Liquid Blue print examples  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Vintage 1996 Liquid Blue print examples
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »

Our Production Mgr brought in some treats for us today. These are vintage 1996 Liquid Blue oversized prints (24 year old prints).

These were a big deal back then and are still very impressive. Some of you just starting out in this business were probably a new born baby at the time.  The larger the print, the more easier the detail is to hold. You are increasing your visual resolution while not really pushing the limits very much on screens and halftone lpi.  These are probably 45lpi on possibly 2 screens. A low mesh near 156 for the solid saturation and maybe 280 for the detail. I think I remember seeing the biker dog in one of the magazines or was entered in one of the ISS shows.

Notice the color difference between the two results based on what brand shirt you use. If there is any moire on your monitor, it’s due to the halftone lpi interfering with the pixel resolution on your monitor. There is little to no moire on this prints.

It’s interesting to printout that the bottom copyright tag was flipped don the film. Not sure if that was intentional. Often, if it’s ever forgotten on the seps, there may be cut pieced of film in the screen room and the screen room person would be the one to tape it on. Could have easily just taped it on flipped by accident.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prince Art

Re: Vintage 1996 Liquid Blue print examples
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Dan. Those are incredible examples of what's possible with 2 screens. Love that kind of stuff!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:31:20 PM »
They had a guy named Colin Cheer (I think that was it) and I'd see him on AOL's screenprinting newsgroup. He mentioned that he didn't like his screens too tight, that is, not 30 newtons or higher, but probably in the high teens. He seemed to like the way the mesh pulled away from the ink at that tension. I seem to recall another member lecturing him over it, and he poo-pooed him, because after all, he had the proof. I believe he went on to another field of creative endeavor, but I don't really know, that's a while ago, and a lot of water under the bridge.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
I've always liked that the penultimate of our process is a wolf howling at the moon, or in this case, dogs playing pool.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
They had a guy named Colin Cheer (I think that was it) and I'd see him on AOL's screenprinting newsgroup. He mentioned that he didn't like his screens too tight, that is, not 30 newtons or higher, but probably in the high teens. He seemed to like the way the mesh pulled away from the ink at that tension. I seem to recall another member lecturing him over it, and he poo-pooed him, because after all, he had the proof. I believe he went on to another field of creative endeavor, but I don't really know, that's a while ago, and a lot of water under the bridge.

Steve

Colin Cheer doesn’t have anything in his FB profile to tell you what he’s doing now, but he’s active on FB.  I think he worked at Ryonet recently, but was laid off due to the corona virus. I might be confusing his with another Colin.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
Nice, but you should see what I did with one screen in discharge. Joe Clarke (RIP Buddy) Printwear article June 2015. All prints are mine

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »

Steve

Colin Cheer doesn’t have anything in his FB profile to tell you what he’s doing now, but he’s active on FB.  I think he worked at Ryonet recently, but was laid off due to the corona virus. I might be confusing his with another Colin.

Yea - different Colin.  Back at work though!

Always nice to see craftsmanship in our industry.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »

Steve

A faint memory, which may very well be false, says Hollywood, and the film industry. But again, that's pretty much 20 years ago.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't