Author Topic: Sim process on Bella Sponge Fleece  (Read 4224 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Sim process on Bella Sponge Fleece
« on: August 11, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
Anyone ever print sim process on the Bella Canvas sponge fleece? The poly count is way to high so we will already be WAY out out of our comfort zone not being able to print discharge. I don't really want to commit to printing them in plastisol just to find out they are not possible because how spongy they are.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Sim process on Bella Sponge Fleece
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
Anyone ever print sim process on the Bella Canvas sponge fleece? The poly count is way to high so we will already be WAY out out of our comfort zone not being able to print discharge. I don't really want to commit to printing them in plastisol just to find out they are not possible because how spongy they are.

I was also apprehensive of the "sponge" even for conventional spot color printing, but was told, and then happily confirmed that they were not especially "spongy" but rather, quite smooth and a good "canvas" so to speak.

Perhaps, though, to reassure yourself, you should get a sample.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
We have printed on them before, but it was like a 3 color I want to say, never a sim process job.  I worry they will move too much.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 08:46:24 PM »
you worry too much ;D ....... Web glue, Low temp inks - send it......

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
you worry too much ;D

This is a fact.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
That being said, I read your title and in my brain I heard "efffff that".  This isn't the worst fabric to put a coating ink onto but it's certainly not the best.

But seriously, performance  ink for the ub and make sure it's nice and smooth.   You may need to budget for a couple revolutions depending on how well you do with that base and how the top colors play out printing wow.   You may want to separate knowing there will be less blending of the top colors if flashed. 

I always felt like some kinda ultra high end transfer would be better fit for these kinds of projects but don't know that exists and, if it does, at a price point competitive with screen printing.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 07:15:38 PM »

I always felt like some kinda ultra high end transfer would be better fit for these kinds of projects but don't know that exists and, if it does, at a price point competitive with screen printing.

I made a post about this the other week. It was crickets except for Zane I think. HP now has the "Latex" series printing on rolls / cut for textiles. Getting samples now. Then Mike Mossman and Eric on here are aware of what's going on overseas with this. Really trying to find something like this. If the transfers are nice they are water base already so would or could be awesome

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 12:11:05 PM »

I made a post about this the other week. It was crickets except for Zane I think. HP now has the "Latex" series printing on rolls / cut for textiles. Getting samples now. Then Mike Mossman and Eric on here are aware of what's going on overseas with this. Really trying to find something like this. If the transfers are nice they are water base already so would or could be awesome

Yeah it's high time for a solution like that.  I find that when we pull off a majestic and "perfect" plastisol print on substrates like this it still kinda feels like a good transfer at best.    Make it roll to roll and apply in line a la inline foiling!  Then you could combine it with direct print as needed and, the transfers would get a bona fide cure in the dryer.   There's been so much progress in these materials that this sounds very realistic to me.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »
Transfers would work well, but as i'm also diving more into research on this, i'm not seeing a great way with those digital printers to print blocker bases. I have some thoughts on how to do this with the hybrid printers though....more on that soon.

But doing this all HSA will work, but you'll need to use a clear or blocking base, and then all WOW highlights on top. you have to really control your flashes and pallet temp!! but the key is double base!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Decided we're not going to try to print them. Going to send them to be printed with a Digital Squeegee.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Online zanegun08

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »
HP now has the "Latex" series printing on rolls / cut for textiles. Getting samples now.

Let me know how these samples turn out, I source offset transfers for some jobs both domestic and overseas, here was one on a hoodie that I didn't want to print

https://imgur.com/a/JU8wcZM

I don't love the hand of these, and the shine is a little bit of an issue, however the detail is amazing, I don't think it could be matched by other methods, even digital squeegee.  Luckily it's an 80's vibe image so the transfer look fits the image and this has been washed around 8-10 times and still looks the same as original press.

I've tried to get our local company that has two digital squeegees to print a couple of jobs but neither has worked out.  There is a new one installed north from us that I want to sub a job out too, but I haven't seen any prints in person that I totally love, the hand, shine, and colors are not quite there for me.

TCT, post your results of the prints on Sponge Fleece with Digital Squeegee if you can!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »
you worry too much ;D ....... Web glue, Low temp inks - send it......

that web glue is some sticky chit and might distort the print pulling soft shirts off, I only use that stuff for hoodies and sweats, but that's just my 2cents
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »
Hey Zane I've had Sean K I think he is on here do two DSqueegee jobs for us. Well one but doing another. On top of discharge base the prints and nice and no shine.

For the HP samples yup I'm excited. Seems too good to be true though. I like HP I just don't think of textiles with them. I believe Kornit has a textile transfer roll out now as well

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Those offset prints look great.   I think it's hard to get any better hand at a certain point with a solid film of something that's required to be somewhat durable. 

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
Saw you figured this out but here’s my $0.02.

Whenever I print these or really any fleece I will hit them with a roller before the base. Makes a world of difference but as mentioned, they’re not especially spongey and the knit it pretty smooth.