Author Topic: Photoshop channels question.  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Photoshop channels question.
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
This is one of those things that happens sometimes, and I'm not sure why. I have a PS RGB file, with 3 channels as spot colors, named XYZ.psd; when I import it into Illustrator to add some vector items and then output, it comes in as 4 files in the Illustrator Links pallet (they look like jpeg icons) instead of XYZ.psd. Does anyone know why this happens? Thanks in advance...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Photoshop channels question.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
I think (could be wrong), but it’s something along these lines that when you place an RGB file into Illustrator, it knows it has to print it out as CMYK in the end so it converts it (I think).  I don’t normally get into placing CMYK or RGB files into Illy, but when I did, I think I had seen them as 4 colors of CMYK. I don’t think I ever say an RGB get placed and see it as RGB in the layers background. again, could be wrong.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 04:11:51 PM »
I discovered a little earlier this afternoon that when the image is placed, it keeps it's name in the Links pallet, one link. Embed it, and they get broken up, in my case here, into the 3 spot channels and an RGB at the bottom of the list. I don't think it matters if it's embedded unless you want to save the file and send to someone else and saving them from "Illustrator couldn't locate the file xxx..."

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 05:08:43 PM »
Yes, that’s what I remember now. It kept the RGB below...and you can then delete that. I think if you send it to films, it then converts that to cmyk and enables those to be printed (when you really Donn’t want to print them) so, you can go back into that layers part (once it’s embedded...and delete the RGB) or so I was told.  I don’t do that, so I don’t know.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
Yes, that’s what I remember now. It kept the RGB below...and you can then delete that. I think if you send it to films, it then converts that to cmyk and enables those to be printed (when you really Donn’t want to print them) so, you can go back into that layers part (once it’s embedded...and delete the RGB) or so I was told.  I don’t do that, so I don’t know.

We just turn the CMYK channels off in the print dialog, so they don't print. When I go to output the current job, I'll delete the RGB in the Links pallet, and see if the CMYK channels are grayed out in Illustrator's print dialog.

Steve