Author Topic: Pretreatment for white garments  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pretreatment for white garments
« on: September 02, 2020, 02:59:42 AM »
Are you all using a pretreatment for white garments? We tried it with the standard pretreatment solution and colors were popping. Then I was told that the standard solution will not work so well for the CMYK colors, they might wash off fairly quickly. So I guess the Firebird CMYK for light garment  pretreatment liquid will be the answer. Any other options out there? Any of you not pretreating at all on light colored tees?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Pretreatment for white garments
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
When I had mine, we pre treated white tees with the standard pre treat 50% diluted. Helps the colors become more vibrant.

Now, why would the pre treat (used for colors) not hold the colors after wash...if done on white tees. Doesn’t make sense.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
Depends on the order. We use a GTX, and all I do is heat tap white shirts for like 8 seconds and print it with no pretreat. The GTX has a setting to print the colors twice on white tees, almost like double stroking a screen print. That works fine for most orders. For high end samples we do a light pretreat to help make the colors pop a little bit. Have not had any issues with washability while using pretreat. Granted we aren't Nike, but we have conducted around 10-15 wash tests on a garment that faded an amount that should be expected. Print held up well overall.

To reiterate Dan's point, if the garment is 100% cotton and the same style as the black tees, why would pretreating it the same way effect the durability? Doesn't make sense to me, I have never heard of that. Hope this helps.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
We pretreat light colors.  The ink is more vivid and it improves washability greatly.  It makes sense for us.