Author Topic: DTG units - rental programs  (Read 4633 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
DTG units - rental programs
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »
Hey all,

I checked and looked around at posts on here and didn't see anything. Been doing a ton of research, getting samples and feedback from other printers and so on. With tech changing so fast I was thinking hybrid (still am) but to get foot in door fast and fun (joking, I know there is a learning curve) I will probably break down and get a Brother or the new Epson. Just curious if anyone out there offers a rental program? Would seem to make sense and just upgrade the rental every year like a car. Just my company is in a niche market and our Merch stores are going gang busters. We would still print our bulk /simple huge prints in the hundreds and stock inventory but they move quick. All of them. So would be great to have DTG for when we were out of 1 size or offer size 5X and so forth. So are there any programs out there for a shop like ours? If not want to contact us and we can be your test company?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: DTG units - rental programs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:41:58 AM »
Hey all,

I checked and looked around at posts on here and didn't see anything. Been doing a ton of research, getting samples and feedback from other printers and so on. With tech changing so fast I was thinking hybrid (still am) but to get foot in door fast and fun (joking, I know there is a learning curve) I will probably break down and get a Brother or the new Epson. Just curious if anyone out there offers a rental program? Would seem to make sense and just upgrade the rental every year like a car. Just my company is in a niche market and our Merch stores are going gang busters. We would still print our bulk /simple huge prints in the hundreds and stock inventory but they move quick. All of them. So would be great to have DTG for when we were out of 1 size or offer size 5X and so forth. So are there any programs out there for a shop like ours? If not want to contact us and we can be your test company?

DTG needs to be used or the math is not there and the heads have issues.
if you are talking about small numbers contract it out.
your next step is the low number compatible units, but those will have very high ink cost (north of $3 per shirt).
steo up, GTX and F3070 are designed to be run a lot. GTX ProB in particular has ink with 3-4 month shelf life. They wanted to make sure we are printing 1500 shirts per month. I think GTX uses the same inks... F3070 is a total overkill for 20-50 shirt per day. the payment will eat away any ink savings.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 07:37:08 AM »
Yup, I have all the numbers and aware of the issues. Not a problem. Our web stores move a lot  Cant keep up. But looking to see if there is any such program. Someone already contacted me so we will see.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
Yup, I have all the numbers and aware of the issues. Not a problem. Our web stores move a lot  Cant keep up. But looking to see if there is any such program. Someone already contacted me so we will see.

cool!
keep us posted please.
thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »
I would think that would be a nightmare for the company renting out the machine. I can just see places saying 'eff cleaning and doing maintenance on them this just like people did when Ryonet rented out Roqs. The DTG print heads are way more temperamental than a auto.

Sounds like SO much of a gamble for the company behind the machine. 
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
I'm sure there would be something contingent to maintenance and being able to upgrade. Along with the clean work environment. Otherwise you cant upgrade or something

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
I'm sure there would be something contingent to maintenance and being able to upgrade. Along with the clean work environment. Otherwise you cant upgrade or something

But how in the WORLD would that be enforceable??? They are not going to send out site inspectors or anything.

It's like with the Roqs, they have maintenance reminders that popped up on the screen, but people would just enter the password and say the maintenance was done.

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not trying to sh!t on your idea, I would rent one if the option was available, but simply because as soon as that unit takes a crap I would want it out of here. I just really think if a manufacturer did it it would need to be super expensive. Then include in the cost of a monthly tech visit and or just assume they are doing head replacements every 4-6 months or something to be safe.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:33 AM »
I can't imagine a rental program for DTG being something that would work.

Have you seen how people treat rental cars?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:50:39 AM »
Oh I'm not doing this I am asking if anyone is offering it like Roq did with presses.

And since most DTG companies are NOT screen printers let's be honest they might treat their toys better.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
And since most DTG companies are NOT screen printers let's be honest they might treat their toys better.

Oh, I WISH I believed in humanity as much as you do!  ;D ;D

Honestly, I think it would be a cool idea. I just don't know how a manufacturer/distributor would ever make enough money to make it worth it.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »

Oh, I WISH I believed in humanity as much as you do!  ;D ;D

Honestly, I think it would be a cool idea. I just don't know how a manufacturer/distributor would ever make enough money to make it worth it.

Unless the rent was so high that it would make more sense to buy.  It would have to be high enough to cover new heads and such.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
Is there an industry average per brand for head replacements? I know we replaced our head on our CTS exactly 1 week after our 12 month warranty. That was lame. Once we have issues I contact right away instead of attempting to learn and fix ourselves

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
Is there an industry average per brand for head replacements? I know we replaced our head on our CTS exactly 1 week after our 12 month warranty. That was lame. Once we have issues I contact right away instead of attempting to learn and fix ourselves

new EPSON comes with an interesting program.
5 year warranty is $6k and it includes next day on site repair if it can't be done over the phone. The heads are also discounted by 50% as part of the plan ($750?).
The most interesting part is that heads are considered a consumable item and have to be replaced after so many prints (360,000? 500 per day for 3 years? or something like that). They are also a user replaceable part and it only takes 2 min to replace.
The printer is connected via web to the service center and they can do all the diagnostics directly with the unit.
I am also watching the install and seeing a lot of proper industrial design in the unit. Anything from the support/diagnostic monitoring, production reporting (number of jobs and printed area for example are accessible from the web), simplified design for quick and easy on site repairs and so on.

pierre

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »
That's awesome. Thanks Pierre

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »

new EPSON comes with an interesting program.
5 year warranty is $6k and it includes next day on site repair if it can't be done over the phone. The heads are also discounted by 50% as part of the plan ($750?).
The most interesting part is that heads are considered a consumable item and have to be replaced after so many prints (360,000? 500 per day for 3 years? or something like that). They are also a user replaceable part and it only takes 2 min to replace.
The printer is connected via web to the service center and they can do all the diagnostics directly with the unit.
I am also watching the install and seeing a lot of proper industrial design in the unit. Anything from the support/diagnostic monitoring, production reporting (number of jobs and printed area for example are accessible from the web), simplified design for quick and easy on site repairs and so on.

pierre

Pierre, which unit is this?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285