Author Topic: Can someone help me with a pdf?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline cyw

Can someone help me with a pdf?
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I've got a large pdf graphic that was created in CS5
It opens just fine for me in Illy

The problem is when I go to convert it to something recognizable in Corel, it's not happening.
The file is chock-full of mesh gradients (or whatever the heck they call them in Illy) and no matter what I do, tried all the tricks I know that 'usually' work, I can't get this one converted properly.
Truth be told, I'm not sure of the optimal settings I should be looking for in Illustrator.

The file is big so I don't think I can attach it here
any helpers out there who want to give it a shot?

thanks
Diane

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Can someone help me with a pdf?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
I'm sure that someone can help you through a direct emailing, but the attachments here do support Zipping the file.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a link to a yousendit or similar service.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
I've got a large pdf graphic that was created in CS5
It opens just fine for me in Illy

The problem is when I go to convert it to something recognizable in Corel, it's not happening.
The file is chock-full of mesh gradients (or whatever the heck they call them in Illy) and no matter what I do, tried all the tricks I know that 'usually' work, I can't get this one converted properly.
Truth be told, I'm not sure of the optimal settings I should be looking for in Illustrator.

The file is big so I don't think I can attach it here
any helpers out there who want to give it a shot?

thanks
Diane

I'd love to help, but my knowledge of converting the files is just about non existent. If it does not convert on the first try, I am out of options. . .

I think that's why others are not chiming in either. Most are good with one or the other, but not many know both really well.

What do you need done? Maybe we can do it for you and then you can print from Illy?

sorry,

pierre
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:14:40 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
I've come across this same thing and I solved my problem by saving it from AI as an EPS and opening it in Ghostview, then resaving it from there as another EPS. For some reason this removed whatever code it was that Corel Draw didn't like. I had to try several different settings to get it to work, but it fianlly did.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline cyw

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
thanks Neil, I think I already tried GS but I'm trying again

I wish I knew exactly what settings to use in Illy to get it out of there with the least possible drama as possible
Dan? Richard?
Somebody must be da' bomb in both pieces of software!

I zipped the file, not so bad
what's the file limit here?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
Hmmm, quote isn't working for me right now.

The max file is 4048k
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
send me the file via email and I will take a look at it for you. Also send a JPEG just in case. 

richard @ fluiddsn.com
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
I think I know what you’re talking about. When the art has a gradient in it and you save it back the new file when opened up with a boxes around all the gradients. I get this when I open AI 5 files and in AI 3. I had someone save it back from AI 5 and it opened fine. Have someone with 5 save it back. Another option is to open the file in whatever program and then Highlight everything and go into your Pathfinder settings and do Divide then after that is done you can do a merge to make all the solid colors one area. With any file that is opened in a older version of a program you have to do alot of work to get it to work. Sometimes nothing works. Best thing to do is have someone with AI 5 save it back.

Offline cyw

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
I have CS5, it opens fine there....sorry, thought I already mentioned that part.
What I don't know how to do is backsave with the proper settings to preserve all the mesh fills
Simple gradients and even transparencies aren't usually an issue, I can normaly convert them just fine.
It's the mesh fills that are the issue...........and this one has boatloads of them, absolute boatloads!

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
If I send a file to another printer, I like to convert any gradients to high res bitmaps and embed them into the vector file. They shouldn't be vectors...
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
"
I have CS5, it opens fine there....sorry, thought I already mentioned that part.
What I don't know how to do is backsave with the proper settings to preserve all the mesh fills
Simple gradients and even transparencies aren't usually an issue, I can normaly convert them just fine.
It's the mesh fills that are the issue...........and this one has boatloads of them, absolute boatloads!

"

Ok so you have both CS5 and the Corel (vector program) on the same computer? Have you tried just copy from AI and pasting into a new file in Corel? I know why would that work...I have figured out things like this by trying everything I can think of. I once worked at a company that needed a Proposal in an hour and the file was corrupt and the backup would take over an hour to get from Archive. If they missed the deadline they don’t consider the company for the work. It was really stressful… I sent the corrupt file to a guy I knew on a Mac (we were on PCs) and he was able to open it fine. He saved it and sent it back and we made the deadline. It ended up getting the company close to 8 million in work for the next year. I got nothing but a good thinking.