Author Topic: Contract Job Match PMS different from Last Printer  (Read 1492 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Contract Job Match PMS different from Last Printer
« on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:37 PM »
This might be another thread to start, say your doing a contract job, you get the pms colors right, but they don't match because you use a different ink company than what the last printer used, using the same pms numbers?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Contract Job Match PMS different from Last Printer
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »
I didn't move this to contract because it applies to any sort of print job. Brand of ink should only affect this marginally, though we all know that some matches are tougher than others. Whenever I have doubts with a good match, I get an okay from the client.
You need to get an okay from whoever is paying!
Have them determine whether your mix is what they want, or would rather you fly by the seat of your pants and try to match the last guy. btw, I charge extra on custom mixes that rely on my skill and experience of color chemistry rather than an easy formula following.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »
What Andy says...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
Yeah, when I have had to deal with this I ask for a physical sample to match to. Often times the other printer did it by eye and the client doesn't really know.

If they don't have a physical sample we need a visual approval.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Yeah, when I have had to deal with this I ask for a physical sample to match to. Often times the other printer did it by eye and the client doesn't really know.

BINGO!   Me too.  One mans PMS is another mans Pantone. Supposed to be the same thing, but look a little different. ")  Actual printed samples t look at and match is required. I can't match what I don't see.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »

BINGO!   Me too.  One mans PMS is another mans Pantone. Supposed to be the same thing, but look a little different. ")  Actual printed samples t look at and match is required. I can't match what I don't see.

PantoneMatchingSystem.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
We ran into once where we were brought the correct ink but they didn't have enough to complete the job and ask if we could pantone match from our ink company, they shade was just a little off but close enough to pass.  I guess if a client is very anal color matching can be a B!$%h.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!