Author Topic: I have acquired a Dubuit 150 cylindrical printer...  (Read 3082 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I have acquired a Dubuit 150 cylindrical printer...
« on: December 08, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »
I have acquired a Dubuit 150 cylindrical printer...

I am researching consumables I will need....There are quite a number of brands of inks I can use for glass and ceramics....What I find a little puzzling is the difference in costs between the low cost brands and the high cost brands....I know you often get what you pay for, however, I wonder if there is really that much difference....

Does anyone here use 2 part inks for glass and ceramics?.....If so, what brands are you using and how are the results....

Thanks...

Offline rusty

Re: I have acquired a Dubuit 150 cylindrical printer...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »
I'll be following this thread with interest since I have a cylinder printrr I don't use enough, and sometimes turn down jobs because of the inks I would need.

I only have used the ADE series from Nazdar because it is a 2 part system and can air dry. But it isn't good for actual glassware that will be washed and for that you need a proper dryer tunnel to cure the proper inks.

That is what I know...but I would love for someone to tell me I am wrong or there is another way.

I would love to do more of this stuff.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »
I'll be following this thread with interest since I have a cylinder printrr I don't use enough, and sometimes turn down jobs because of the inks I would need.

I only have used the ADE series from Nazdar because it is a 2 part system and can air dry. But it isn't good for actual glassware that will be washed and for that you need a proper dryer tunnel to cure the proper inks.

That is what I know...but I would love for someone to tell me I am wrong or there is another way.

I would love to do more of this stuff.

What kind of printer do you have?

Nazdar claims their ink when properly cured is a good as it gets....But seeing as it is the cheapest on the market I wonder how it really compares to the others...

I plan on using a home convection oven in the beginning...A little slow as only 36 at a time and about 4 or 5 batches an hour....I think most of my orders will be less than 200 pieces to start....So I think I can manage....

I may only start with as few as 4 or 5 ink colours....I think that will cover 80% to 90% of the requests...

I plan on buying a few pallets of common items....White 15 oz mugs....Black 15 oz. mugs....16 oz. mason jars (might be only item I start with if $s are short)....16 oz. mixing glasses....I market what I want to sell so should be able to drive enough business to keep things part time for a while....Shipping and overpack boxes to our area is insane 4 boxes at a time...200.00 for 144 mugs....But bringing in a few pallets will reduce that cost to less than 40.00 for the same amount....Plus by printing my own my margins should be 1-1/2 to 2 x greater versus buying ASI suppliers...

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
I used some pad ink from these guys https://www.marabu-inks.com/. It lasted years. It was a bit of a learning curve but not too bad. They used to sell color samples with everything needed for about $80.00.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »
We used to print mugs with an Autoroll press that came to us as part of a package. We also had a lab oven. Naz-Dar Baking epoxy is what we used, and I have a couple of el grande's (15 oz. coffee mug) in my kitchen that are over 20 years old, a little worn, but still on there. When we used the air-dry, it just didn't make the cut. I really can't add anything else other than the baking epoxy is super tough...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:14:35 AM »
I used some pad ink from these guys https://www.marabu-inks.com/. It lasted years. It was a bit of a learning curve but not too bad. They used to sell color samples with everything needed for about $80.00.

I wish I could talk to these folks....But my emails and voice mails have not gained a response....Their new 1 part ink looks promising but I have been told it is 3x the cost of 2 part epoxy inks...