Author Topic: Anybody here doing Print on Demand? or thinking about it?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Anybody here doing Print on Demand? or thinking about it?
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:12:59 PM »
'would  love to get some information sharing going. We are setting it up and it is a whole new world.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Anybody here doing Print on Demand? or thinking about it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 01:07:51 AM »
Yes. Absolutely

Offline avogel

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:21:57 AM »
Watching this. We are in the thinking about it, starting phase.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 08:34:38 AM »
We see it coming too, as long time contract printers, as well as direct sales, we are talking to more an more people that are trying to be t-shirt entrepreneurs, and since we are already using Order My Gear for some trade schools, we already have a way of getting one set up fairly quickly. I had a request from someone last week who has a national program going, using Teespring, and is not happy with the print quality. I had a talk with some staff about how we might handle fulfillment, lots of things to consider. Some were concerned we would be possibly overwhelmed for our capacity, but as one crazy/wise friend once said, "Get the job first, then worry about how to get it done." I did some cursory figuring, to see if it is feasible for us, and it looks like it could give us a boost with the right customers, none of the absolute beginners with question like, "Where do I get blank shirts?" I'm very interested to follow this topic, it's such a crazy world out there, and we have to stay somewhat caught up...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
I am interested in this as well.

We are diving head on into fulfillment and learning as we go. We are very small but the potential where we are is massive.

In january will start messing with DTF and hope to get that going.

I have so many questions about POD and fulfillment.

I o wish there was a private thread where people can throw around real numbers and not have business info out in public.

I would gladly pay for a secret section on this board.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
My main question on this topic - Is this one of those adapt or be left behind situations? The few stores I've run have been a PITA. I don't like doing fulfillment. It's too time consuming for smaller shops with less employees IMO and I don't want to expand just for POD. I've also run into issues with clients not telling me how much they'd like to make per shirt so I'm left to my own guess and then when it comes time to pay commission to the client, they want more money all of the sudden. This is definitely one of those things I'd also like to pay to learn more about since I'm so green to this style of business. It's a completely different beast. If trade shows are done for another year or so, someone should do an online course or something lol. I'd pay for it.

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
I am taking a different approach for dealing with clients. Instead of paying them out we are starting to bill them monthly. We are not doing the printavo merch anymore or ordermygear. Instead we are just connecting to customers existing stores with our shipstation. Anytime an order sells we receive the info and ship.

We are working out a tiered system for pricing that they can reference on pricing an all customers will have an upfront charge they pay to get started. this weeds out some people and also starts of the store with merch.

It's a work in progress. I am shooting to be ready for spring.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
I'm looking into this as well but on a smaller level, the DTF looks to be promising to get those 1 to 12 shirt orders with high colors in and out fast.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
I am taking a different approach for dealing with clients. Instead of paying them out we are starting to bill them monthly. We are not doing the printavo merch anymore or ordermygear. Instead we are just connecting to customers existing stores with our shipstation. Anytime an order sells we receive the info and ship.

We are working out a tiered system for pricing that they can reference on pricing an all customers will have an upfront charge they pay to get started. this weeds out some people and also starts of the store with merch.

It's a work in progress. I am shooting to be ready for spring.

shipstation seem to be an important part of making PoD going. would love some more info on it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
so here's a question, what is your definition of Print on Demand? How do you see the process going?

pierre

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
My definition of POD is ... and order comes in and you print and ship within 48 hours either by DTG or transfers.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
My definition of POD is ... and order comes in and you print and ship within 48 hours either by DTG or transfers.

min qty?

Offline rusty

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »

min qty?

Yeah, thats the thing. As I approach it I am using 24 as a minimum and would be making customers pay an up front charge, let's say $250. Having a tier system for pricing - and they have to sell within certain levels to get certain pricing. The $250 would go to their first batch of orders an when they pass that, pricing changes, etc

I am looking at it in a more subscription based way based way, that they pay X amount for this service monthly and certain numbers hit certain price points... I't's on them to sell.

I do want to put up a wall that will deter people. who think running a clothing brand would be dope. I don't want anything to do with that niche to be honest. I  want more established business looking to expand or who want to special shirts for an event...

I want to be able to do POD for that rare 3XL they need.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 11:33:51 AM »

min qty?

Yeah, thats the thing. As I approach it I am using 24 as a minimum and would be making customers pay an up front charge, let's say $250. Having a tier system for pricing - and they have to sell within certain levels to get certain pricing. The $250 would go to their first batch of orders an when they pass that, pricing changes, etc

I am looking at it in a more subscription based way based way, that they pay X amount for this service monthly and certain numbers hit certain price points... I't's on them to sell.

I do want to put up a wall that will deter people. who think running a clothing brand would be dope. I don't want anything to do with that niche to be honest. I  want more established business looking to expand or who want to special shirts for an event...

I want to be able to do POD for that rare 3XL they need.

so you would print 24 pieces when ordered? how is that different from regular service? what makes it POD?

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »

When I was investigating what my interested party had requested, I looked at her site on Teespring on Friday, 12/4, it said order today, and it will ship by Dec. 15th or sooner...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't