Author Topic: Peeling DTF Transfers  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Peeling DTF Transfers
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:50:36 PM »
Okay, be honest. Who's ruined one by peeling too soon while still too warm?  :o
I've developed a new system to keep me more honest by pressing a few and then going back to peel and re-press.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Peeling DTF Transfers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
we take them from the hot press right to a cold one and press it. The cold platen sucks that heat out in seconds so you can peel  / move faster. We are pressing a second time for 5-6 seconds on some items just because we are used to doing that with screened transfers. I have a few carhartts and rain coats with DTF full backs and I am beating the living piss out of them to try and make them fail. so far so good.

And yes, I pulled early once or twice.... :o

shut up Rob... ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:27:15 PM »
we take them from the hot press right to a cold one and press it. The cold platen sucks that heat out in seconds so you can peel  / move faster. We are pressing a second time for 5-6 seconds on some items just because we are used to doing that with screened transfers. I have a few carhartts and rain coats with DTF full backs and I am beating the living piss out of them to try and make them fail. so far so good.

And yes, I pulled early once or twice.... :o

shut up Rob... ;D

I keep them in place with Stahl's blue heat tape, and find it leaves a little ghost that then disappears with the second pressing

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:01 PM »
We've pulled some warm and some we've pressed and just pull then the next day, no problems so far, but now that I say this I'll screw something tomorrow ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
Been there, done that, but that's the learning curve. I just did some from TPRNT, and they came out really good at the recommended temp and pressure, 3 second initial press to get rid of moisture, 12 seconds at 310°, let it cool to room temp (or body temp seems OK too) then gave them the second press, which actually seemed to make them softer. But on a couple of jobs I needed to do some testing. The "boss" at Supacolor called and helped me dial it in on a problematic drawstring backpack. I've taken to order a few extras to test with. This is making a lot of customers pretty happy, no complaints on the "hand" at all. This seasoned and proud screen printer is selling a lot of transfers of late, as it gives the customers what they want.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline DonR

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 06:44:54 PM »
Steve - Good to hear you are getting good results...  Frog - Let me know if you need any help or a few more samples to test different times & temps.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »
Steve - Good to hear you are getting good results...  Frog - Let me know if you need any help or a few more samples to test different times & temps.

Just finishing up that second job, and it's working pretty smoothly. I'm pressing for 12, letting it cool, peeling, and pressing with a cover sheet another 8 or so. btw, the second pressing also gets rid of what initially looked like spitting, excess adhesive or ink.
I only wish you were closer.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »
We've pulled some warm and some we've pressed and just pull then the next day, no problems so far, but now that I say this I'll screw something tomorrow ;D

Watch out. If too warm, the ink has not re-solidified and you'll pull it apart.

Offline mikee440

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 08:18:02 PM »
I initially had issues with sticky corners, but have since been using the craft / silicone paper with great results.  I have rarely felt I needed a repress, but to make sure things are 100% I press, peel and then pop the sheet back and do a quick squeegee.  6 months later my contractors shirts are still holding up well

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 08:21:12 PM »
This seasoned and proud screen printer is selling a lot of transfers of late, as it gives the customers what they want.

Steve

Exactly. Same for us. Just because we can print a 5 or 6 color hsa print on 18 poly gym shorts doesn't mean you should. The product and pricing is great.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
So can someone who has done this tell me the difference in repressing with the craft paper vs the teflon/silicone sheet?,  I heard one makes the transfer shinny the other matte finish.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
So can someone who has done this tell me the difference in repressing with the craft paper vs the teflon/silicone sheet?,  I heard one makes the transfer shinny the other matte finish.

With almost all heat seal that I have ever dealt with teflon sheet has produced a shinier look (though originally described as "the more screen-printed look), while kraft paper more matte. I often use baking parchment, and in fact, just did so on my last DTF job.
btw, years ago, Diane at Color Your World and I bonded over using texture sheets on vinyl. Similar to what is used on upholstery repair, the textured sheets impart the texture to the heat-softened plastic decoration materials.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:47:14 PM by Frog »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
I've been using baking parchment for the second press, it keeps it matte, and as someone else mentioned seems to make the adhesive flashing (for lack of a better term) disappear.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »
Ok I am confused...what kind of transfers sre we talking about here snd where do you get them ?
Thanks
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline DonR

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
We are talking about DTF transfers. Which stands for "Direct To Film" or "Digital To Film" depending on who you ask. We started working with them about 1 year ago and offer them to the trade only at www.tprnt.com. There are other companies that also offer them. You can also modify some Epson desktop printers to produce them.

I would like to thank the members of this group for support and feedback that they have given me. The state of the art for these transfers is changing very quickly. I think you will all be excited about what will be possible in the near feature.