Author Topic: Emulsion Smell?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Emulsion Smell?
« on: May 11, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
So I've been using Ulano orange for a while now, and I have a gal that smells like crap, it still seems to burn fine, but I've never had a gal smell like this, so is it going bad or what am I missing here?  this stuff lights up the whole production area and a little up front.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Emulsion Smell?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »
Not that I can remember.   In fact, yea, some or all do have a tiny bit of an odor, but nothing I personally would complain about. But I can take a lot of odor.  :)
Maybe it is going bad. I’ve heard of some people getting some in that were bad from the Co. warehouse but I don’t know if it had an odor.

I’ve heard of some strange thing. Like Ant’s piling into them, Funky mold looking stuff etc.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »
I've had some smelling very funky after a prolonged time, but still worked fine. However, in your post, I couldn't help but wonder at first if you also had an issue with a female employee's lack of personal hygiene. "I've never had a gal smell like this!" Then again, another of your lines, "I've got a gal that smells like crap" sounds like the first line of a bawdy folk song! LOL!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:58:59 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
Post-exposure dip tank will knock a buzzard off a poop wagon in the hot months, and that's just emulsion.
Bit of dish soap solves it, learned that on here. Don't know that I'd put soap in emulsion though.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:45:10 PM »
Sounds like the odorant (usually cherry) may have been dropped from the formula.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »
To expand on this a bit...........an odorant is utilized in much chemistry in order to identify and sometimes disguise unpleasant odors. Many know that natural gas has no percieveabile odor however the smell we we all recognize when there is a leak is an odorant. The cherry/bubblegum smell we recognize with inks and emulsions is chemical ingredient and sometimes has a shelf life

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 04:32:05 AM »
We switched to orange several years ago never had the odor experience to date.
Talk to Ulano ???????
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline BP

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »
We have used Orange for years. And yes from time to time it does, but works fine.

SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »
We have this happen pretty often with Ulano orange. Any fluid I think will go bad & get rancid if given enough time. Often when coating on the auto coater we will crack a new gallon to refill the coater. New gallon gets mixed with old gallon thus contaminating the new container with any bacterial growth that was present. End of week, same thing and so on until it gets so bad I throw out the last little remainder of the mixed container and waste a bit.

Never had the issue with a new container.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
I've had some smelling very funky after a prolonged time, but still worked fine. However, in your post, I couldn't help but wonder at first if you also had an issue with a female employee's lack of personal hygiene. "I've never had a gal smell like this!" Then again, another of your lines, "I've got a gal that smells like crap" sounds like the first line of a bawdy folk song! LOL!

Ha Ha Frog, you getting as bad as Homer LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!